New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cant shut down Lion with mail still running

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mockney

mockney will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Hello All,

Can I ask for some troubleshooting advice on a problem i am experiencing on Lion.

When I logout I always ask that when I log back in again it re-opens all my current windows, so I have things like

Itunes
Safari
Mail

All running in full window mode.

When I then logout nothing happens and it closes my mail window but the actual application is still running because I can see mail on the menu bar at the top of the screen

If I try and logout again I am then told that the logout was cancelled due to the application mail and I have to close this down first, problem is when I click on mail the logout is greyed out so I cant actually close it, the only way to then be able to shut down my macbook is to force quit the mail application or I have to close it down first before I attempt to logout.

Hope that makes some sense it's quite annoying so if you have any advice or know what is causing this problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mockney

Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Fixed it, I had to give apple care a call in the end but the chap was very helpful. Basically it all related to some rouge Microsoft application sitting in my start up folder. The guy reckoned it was from where I had previously copied all the information over to my new MacBook Pro from my old Macbook using the migration assistant.

Anyway once I had deleted it from my user account settings I was able to close down the mail application so problem sorted.

Thanks to AppleCare.
QUOTE Thanks
mockney

Bloody Bill Gates, I knew it had to be something to do with him :-)...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macintosh IIci | At what point does a Mac stop being a Mac? »