New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

OSX on imac 500 ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wabkia

i just got an old imac 500 and was wondering if i can upgrade to OSX. its just gonna be doing some PS and folding@home and maby a little video rendering.
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jy106

I think 128mb is the minimum amount of ram for OSX. I have an iMac G3 with OSX installed, it worked for a while but now it doesn't boot!
QUOTE Thanks
wabkia

well i have a ton of pc133 and pc100 lying around so ram realy isnt an issue. im realy worried about how it will run. but reading other threads it seems like it wont be a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

Just fill it to the max with RAM and it will run OS X without any problems whatsoever.
A word of caution though, make sure you update the firmware before you go to OS X or you could do some serious damage to your machine.

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
wabkia

thanks, i wont forget to upgrade firmware
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

128 mb of ram was the minimum for panther, 256 is the new minimum for Tiger.

FWIW, I'm running a 400 mhz G4 TiBook on Tiger, and I can do most of my tasks with no problems. Solid performer still. Not sure how well you'll fare in PS, but it's worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
thepreludedude

thepreludedude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini intel 1.5GHz core solo 2GB, iMac 24" intel 2.8 GHz core 2 duo 4GB

i have a 6oo imac running 10.3.9. always works great
QUOTE Thanks
wabkia

looking at how to upgrade ram on my mac. i see that it takes notebook ram and not regular pc100 sdram ? am i looking in the wrong place ?

nope, just checked the apple website and it turns out i have a 333mhz g3. oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The 333 mhz iMac will run OS X - up to Panther - without problems. Check www.lowendmac.com. The section on the 333mhz model (also called the revision D) has all the info you'll need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new iMac G5--wireless connection up/down/up/down etc | G4 imac ide cable replacements »