New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

I mac not shutting down.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mit12

Mit12 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have an i mac (quad core) running on Mac os x 10.7.3. I am finding increasingly that despite me closing all programmes properly the mac doesnt shut down. I find it goes to the grey screen and the mac spiral appears, I have to push the power button to shut the machine down. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

How are you attempting to shut it down (prior to hitting the power button)?

Im sure your not far off base from the correct order..

Click the Apple in the top left...

then select shut down..

then select shut down now, or let the timer do it all on its own after 60 seconds..

Just to make sure you have all the programs closed you can press... Command&Option&Delete at the same time and that will show you whats running.. up front of in the background (not maximized).

GL

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I'd recommend that you run a hardware test using Disk Utility > First Aid from the original install disk that came with the iMac.

I'll assume you know how to boot your iMac from the DVD, otherwise post back for further instructions.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extremely weak wireless signal on PowerMac G5 / AirPort | I need upgrading! Mac Pro. »