New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G4 1GB memory upgrades available

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Source: MacMinute.com

iMac G4 1GB memory upgrades available
November 20, 2003 - 06:34 EST Trans Intl. today announced the availability of 1GB (Gigabyte) DDR333 (Double Data Rate) memory upgrade modules for the recently released Apple iMac G4 15-inch 1GHz Combo Drive, the iMac G4 17-inch 1.25 GHz Super Drive, and the iMac G4 20-inch 1.25 GHz Super Drive, which enables the system's main memory to be expanded up to 2GB. Pricing and availability are available from the Web site.

My Comments: Not bad at all!
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

If you can expand the iMac's memory to 2 GB, then why can't you have apple do that for you? On the iMac's site it only allows up to 1GB????

Can someone clarify this, or am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

*Do I get a reward for reviving an old thread?

The Apple site will always tell you that the G4 (1.0 & 1.25) iMacs will only support up to 1GB total RAM. I have a 1.25 G4 iMac and have the stock 256MB RAM in the factory slot and a 512MB stick in the user slot. I called Apple Help and they told me the G4 iMac can, safely, be upgraded to a max of 2GB of RAM. The catch is this: they told me that if you have Applecare and need to send your machine in for repair, you must put the RAM back to a max of 1GB as they will not offer help and/or support for anything over 1GB RAM.

I just bought a 1GB stick of RAM from Crucial.com and put it into the user slot and noticed a big kick in the pants. Much faster and much smoother operation using Tiger 10.4.2 and Photoshop.

I'll keep the 512MB RAM stick set to the side for the odd chance I would have to use my AppleCare.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 tv connection? | Sleep Light Hacks/Mods »