New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Problem with Pioneer DVR-105 and Blue&White G3/OS 9.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elvisgump

A while back I purchased a used Blue & White G3 that has a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW and OS 9.1 installed. My aggravation is that this thing won't run any version of Apple DVD Player so I can't do much of anything. I can't even burn a data DVD with Toast 5. I can burn and read CDs but that's about it.

I've run across one article that said that using Apple Profiler I should be able to detect a needed MPEG card of some sort to make this thing work that I don't seem to have. Lost the link to the article and can't seem to find even that again.

Can anyone offer advice of what the specs and things are I need to make this thing work?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Take a look at this link. I hope this helps.

http://web.tiscali.it/thinkdifferent/english/faq.html

Also take a look through the drive database here...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
QUOTE Thanks
elvisgump

Downloaded the Tome Viewer thing and did all the steps this FAQ said.
http://web.tiscali.it/thinkdifferent/english/faq.html

Restarted and still no joy, the Apple DVD player won't launch and I get an error that "This Macintosh does not support Apple DVD Player (error number 301)"

The ****ation is that I HAVE the ****ed Pioneer installed and a DVD in it that mounts on the desktop! I just can't do anything but browse the file directory.

**** Toast won't even let me burn a data DVD which is the most useful thing I really want to do with the drive, even though I can browse the exact same DVD brand and batch of Maxell DVDs I just burnt on a PC. When I put the same one in Toast says no disk in burner.

I'm so mad at this thing I'm ready to turn the machine into a door stop. Apple really ****ed up their plug and play motto with this one.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

is OS X a no go as you'd have almost problems with that i guess

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
elvisgump

I've since found a patch on that http://web.tiscali.it/ site that allowed me to patch the Apple DVD Player 2.7 so it would work though it appears to be a non-Apple hack.

I don't know if it' worth switching my 450mhz G3 to X. I'm waiting to see what the new Intel Macs shape up like before making any new purchases
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

mate people run 450MHz machines on X so it must be worth it.

then when the new Mactels come out you can still get one then

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost left-hand file bar in iPhoto | Would you purchase the new iMac... or wait? »