New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Kernel Panics

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

winston2012

winston2012 is on a distinguished road

hey there i have a late model imac i was given recently so i dont know that much about it yet,except when i try to start it ,it shows me the must restart logo,ive hunted thru forums and tried the obvious,but it keeps going to restart menu with a grey roll down screen...saying must restart..it also wont eject my start up disc either..i dont want to throw it out the window yet but im getting close to it..please help any advice bout fixing it be appreciated..i see its called a kernel panic....thats what shows on screen..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I moved your post here to this forum where you're apt to get better answers. Also redid your title somewhat so that it gives us an idea of the problem.

Now, on to your problem.....

First, can you tell us what year and model iMac you have and which version of OS X it's running? If you can't because of the kernel panics, that's OK.

Kernel panics are typically caused by hardware faults but sometimes can also be due to bad software. But if your iMac goes into panic right away, it's likely hardware. Try this for us:

Reboot the machine and as soon as you hear the chime (bong) hold down the shift key and keep holding it until it starts to boot. That will get you into safe mode. Let's see if it will boot that way. Post back the results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partition or not to partition....that is the question | Adding A new Hard drive to my Powermac G5 »