Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.06 Ghz, iPhone 4s, 13" MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz
    Cool Use for old Power Mac
    Hey Guys,

I have recently come into possession of an old Power Mac G5, and am trying to think of some kind of use for it. The specs are pretty unimpressive at just SP 1.6 Ghz, 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig hard drive. Its a gorgeous machine it would be a shame to just junk it.

Any unique ideas? or has this dinosaur seen its last days of use.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    The older Powermac G5's are great for running older software (software that was vintage to the computer)...and they are certainly perfect for e-mail and most internet surfing.

One the "down-side"...the Powermac G5 1.6ghz single processor is probably the worst (the dog) of all of the Powermac G5 lineup for various reasons.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.06 Ghz, iPhone 4s, 13" MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The older Powermac G5's are great for running older software (software that was vintage to the computer)...and they are certainly perfect for e-mail and most internet surfing.

One the "down-side"...the Powermac G5 1.6ghz single processor is probably the worst (the dog) of all of the Powermac G5 lineup for various reasons.

- Nick
    Yes, unfortunately this beast is limited to its single processor, I thought perhaps I could throw another processor inside and make it a tad more lively, but due to what I believe to be logic board limitations this is not possible. Instead I may end up just hooking it up to my lcd tv and use to for playing ppc games or something. Thanks for the suggestions

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo1 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately this beast is limited to its single processor, I thought perhaps I could throw another processor inside and make it a tad more lively, but due to what I believe to be logic board limitations this is not possible. Instead I may end up just hooking it up to my lcd tv and use to for playing ppc games or something. Thanks for the suggestions
    Besides being only 1 of 2 single cpu Powermac G5 models (out of 14 models)...it also had:

- a slower logic board (compared to other Powermac G5 models)
    - a max ram of 4gig
    - PCI slots (instead of PCI-X)

But still a decent computer compared to most Powermac G4's.

Enjoy it,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27", i7 3.5GHz, 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Contact your local church groups, boy scouts and schools. They will be able to help you pass the G5 on to a disadvantaged student which is a long way better than junking it.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
    With a hard drive upgrade it could be used as file server or backup machine..

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Lots of things you can do with that machine, as long as you stay away from Flash, HD video and use mostly older software with it. The HD is easily replaceable with a larger drive, ditto the RAM.

Thread Information