New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Should I trust failed verified DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLover2011

MacLover2011 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i Mac OS X Lion

I am backing up files on DVDs off my iMac. A few of them failed verification. However, the files show up in the DVD after I eject and put the DVD back in. Am I making a mistake to trust the DVD as a back up if the verification failed?

Also, I'm still searching online as I am burning the DVD. Is that okay?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I certainly would not be inclined to trust a file that failed verification. The verification procedure is normally just a CRC check, however, a file that fails to check OK may not work later on when you need it. And yes, it can appear normal on the DVD and fail the check.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I certainly would not be inclined to trust a file that failed verification. The verification procedure is normally just a CRC check, however, a file that fails to check OK may not work later on when you need it. And yes, it can appear normal on the DVD and fail the check.

sigh.... great... I don't remember which one's verified and which ones didn't. MY FAULT.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Is there anyway I can tell which verified and which didn't after the fact?

Another one didn't verify. I'm doing something wrong.
I'm just going to redo all the dvds and destroy these. What am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, it would take a do over of the backup. I should have mentioned in my first reply that using DVDs to backup from your hard drive is really not recommended. Not only is the procedure slow, but there is always the chance that the restore may fail because of a bad copy. However, backing things up like movies, music, and especially photos are fine. Complete backups though should be made to an external hard drive using Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
No, it would take a do over of the backup. I should have mentioned in my first reply that using DVDs to backup from your hard drive is really not recommended. Not only is the procedure slow, but there is always the chance that the restore may fail because of a bad copy. However, backing things up like movies, music, and especially photos are fine. Complete backups though should be made to an external hard drive using Time Machine.
+1 for this. There was a time when backing up to optical discs was the only cost-effective way to do so. Nowadays, external hard drives are fairly cheap (although they're kind of expensive at the moment due to a supply shortage caused by flooding in Thailand) and most backup software is geared toward backing up to an external.

Time Machine makes backups brain dead simple. Plug in the external, set it and forget it. You're completely covered. And you'll never have to hassle with squeezing only a few files on optical discs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that writeable discs DO degrade over time. Even the best quality discs have a limited shelf-life (usually around 7-10 years).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

I lost the power supply for my SeaGate TB. So until I get the new on next week I wanted to just back up some websites and photos folders on the DVD. I had one external TB that went back on me. Is it a good idea to continue to use that one? After all, it was probably just a part of the hard drive that went bad.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi MacLover

If and, I hope, when you get round to backing up to Time Machine, here are links to step-by-step instructions for doing this and for recovering from TM as well.

For your situation TM is the way, as stated above. Settings, preferences, everything is backed up in the background, hourly etc. Set up and forget.

Good luck.

Ian

Mac 101: Time Machine
How to restore a hard drive using Time Machine | Macworld
http://www.macworld.com/article/1649...lsrc.rss_howto
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want to upgrade but..... | 27" iMac Stand? »