New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac -- RAM Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Snimo

Snimo is on a distinguished road

Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the forum, and wondered if anyone could help me.

I recently purchased a 21.5" iMac, with an Intel i5 processor, and 4GB RAM (two 2GB sticks), this was the base price model if that helps

It says in the user guide that its configurable to 8GB, i guess with the addition of two more 2GB sticks (I think it has space for 4 RAM slots).

My question is, what is the best way for me to upgrade the RAM, do i just buy two 2GB sticks to put me up to 8GB, if so which RAM is the best for me to buy).

Or can i purchase two 4GB sticks to upgrade the RAM to 12GB?

Help would be much appreciated as i really don't want to mess it up.
QUOTE Thanks
dierbeckc

dierbeckc is on a distinguished road

Your iMac is expandable to 8G. There are two ram slots tho, not 4. Make sure you either put in one 8G ram or 2-4G. The best idea is to keep the ram equal or just use one.

I like Kingston and buy it online (Amazon). Replacing the ram is easy but treat it gently as you should with any other computer parts. Best rule is if it doesn't go in easily, don't jam it.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Run the Crucial Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer and it will tell you what you have and what you can upgrade to.

Most people here have had great luck with Crucial or OWC memory..there are definitely other vendors that work as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Any iMac after late 2009 is expandable up to 16gb and there are in fact four memory card slots on the iMac...from 2009 on...
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I agree with Codda, your Mac is in fact expandable to 16GB at least. I say at least because I've heard of folk cranking it up to 32gb. Wouldn't want to try it myself though...

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codda View Post
Any iMac after late 2009 is expandable up to 16gb and there are in fact four memory card slots on the iMac...from 2009 on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
I agree with Codda, your Mac is in fact expandable to 16GB at least. I say at least because I've heard of folk cranking it up to 32gb. Wouldn't want to try it myself though...
I thought so too, but Apple's Apple - iMac - Compare the 21.5- and 27-inch iMac. says that the base 21.5" iMac can only be upgraded to 8GB..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

I think that means through Apple, Razor, as this page on Apple's site says 16gb...

iMac: How to remove or install memory

I've upgraded mine to 12gb regardless of what Apple says.

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
I think that means through Apple, Razor, as this page on Apple's site says 16gb...

iMac: How to remove or install memory

I've upgraded mine to 12gb regardless of what Apple says.
That's misleading on Apple's part if the iMac is actually capable of using up to 16GB of memory..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

I agree!

Although if you punch in the Mac's specs into Crucial's memory checker, they too suggest it can hold 16GB...

Computer memory upgrades for Apple iMac 2.5GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 (21.5-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

Silly Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Could this be a case where the chips thar fit that model are a higher density than what was available when the specs were developed when that model was released. The memory information fro Other World Computing shows similar numbers for several other models.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I can personally confirm that the mid-2010 model iMac will take 16 GB of RAM quite readily. There's no reason the current models wouldn't.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Snimo

Snimo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies guys

think i'm gonna pick up two 4GB sticks and push it up to 12GB and see how i go
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I think there's some confusion about the memory capacity of the 2011 21.5" iMacs and that's because there are actually two models:

Mid 2011 21.5" iMac which Apple says can take up to 16 GB but that Mactracker says can actually hold 32 GB.

Late 2011 21.5" iMac (educational model) which Apple and Mactracker both state can only hold 8 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
tjs10

tjs10 is on a distinguished road

Greetings, this is my iMac OSX and RAM upgrade story (hope it helps);

I wanted to upgrade from OS 10.5.8 (Tiger) to 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) on my mid 2007 24" iMac 7,1 with Intel Core II Duo 2.4 GHz processor.

Had to first install 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) which I had to buy over the phone from Apple since they took it down from their website (ridiculous)... $20.00. Got the disc (they paid the shipping, thanks Apple) and the system installed easily, then updated itself over the internet to 10.6.8... perfect, so far so good.

Snow Leopard worked perfectly. However, my iMac only had 1 GB of RAM, and so I had to upgrade that in order to install Mountain Lion, (min 2 GB RAM needed)... So I decided to upgrade to 4 GB.

There are alot of threads regarding iMac RAM upgrades so hopefully this helps clear up some confusion: I bought 2 x 2GB RAM modules from Memory Express.

These were Kingston, 2 GB SODIMM DDR2 667 MHz, PC2-5300, 200-pin modules (memory for notebooks). Product Number: KVR667D2S5/2G (35.00 ea.)

I intalled these and they worked perfectly. Some threads say that they are not compatible but they seem to be working fine, they were recognized, and my computer is blazing fast now... Keep in mind that iMac 7,1 can be upgraded to 6 GB RAM, however my computer nerd friend told me that if you install 2 modules that are different sizes (ie 2 GB and 4 GB) then your dual memory channels cannot be double called by the CPU for maximum speed... 6 GB gives you maximum RAM, but 4 GB (2x2 GB) gives you maximum speed.... something to think about.

My iMac 7,1 is running much faster with its new 2x2 GB RAM upgrade (compared to 1 GB the speed now borders on premonition...)

After this install I was able to download and install Mountain Lion from the App Store ($20.00) and have never looked back. Mountain Lion runs quickly, and even auto-adjusted my screen colour/contrast to make things look nicer upon install... Thanks Apple... The new multiple desktop scheme (spaces) takes some getting used to (10.6.8 was better with the tiled desktops (spaces)). But the new OS runs smoothly. This computer is only used for light work, internet, accounting, etc etc... and for that, Mountain Lion is perfect. No complaints so far.

Time Machine Backup before installing any new operating system though (just in case)... Many threads put Mountain Lion in a very negative light, but so far it has worked perfectly for me, and my iMac is over 5 years old...

Also,

I also have an iMac 8,1 (mid 2008) with Intel Core II Duo processor (2.8 GHz)... This thing is dual booted with Windows XP (SP3, 32-bit) and OSX 10.5.8. I upgraded the RAM on this machine to 4 GB using the following modules;

Kingston 2x2GB, SODIMM DDR2, PC2-6400, 800 MHz, 200-pin modules. Product Number: KVR800D2S6/2G (Memory Express)

These are also compatible and working perfectly. No problems to report so far. Plugged them in and away I went. OSX recognizes them as 2, 2 GB modules but Windows XP system information reports the memory as "2.98 GM of RAM" ... so that could be a problem I guess. However, consulting the Windows forums seems to suggest that this is "NORMAL" and can be fixed if you mess around with your boot files in the root folder of your system drive...... or something The RAM reported by the System Properties dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect in Windows Vista or in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later version

But nonetheless my computer boots both operating systems quickly and can handle a high number of applications at once. This machine is used for data analysis for research purposes (electrochemical lithium ion battery data) and is underpowered for the job (big surprise). However, the RAM upgrade seems to help the Windows XP functionality for crunching large data sets, so the error in reporting the amount of RAM may not be anything to worry about...

Happy upgrading!!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Maybe this will help some:
21-inch iMac teardown shows newly rearranged innards | Ars Technica

I only see 2 physical RAM slots on that model..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reported 2012 Mac Mini Video Blanking Issues | iMac Snow Leopard Slowed Down »