New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Blaring Static out of Speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cargoshorts

cargoshorts is on a distinguished road

I tried to watch a video tonight and this startling, blaring static came out of the speakers (internal), loud enough to wake the neighborhood. I went to a different website and tried another video, same thing. To stop it I have to move the volume bar all the way down to zero. No degrees of volume, anything above zero is violently loud. Couple of months ago I had some static when playing music, both through the internal speakers and through headphones. I knew something was on the fritz. Now it's kaplooey. Anyone one know what this means? Can I just take it to an Apple store? I bought it new about 19 months ago.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can certainly take it to your local Apple store and have them check it out, however, if you didn't buy Apple care you may have to pay for any repairs.
QUOTE Thanks
Hammer Time

Hammer Time is on a distinguished road

Which type of Mac is it? Sounds like the screening on the speakers cable has become unplugged or damaged
QUOTE Thanks
cargoshorts

cargoshorts is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone is looking for an answer. I never did take it to Apple, as it turned out not to be a hardware problem. There was a file - a system audio file of some sort - that needed to be replaced or updated. Once I did that it was back to normal. Wish I could remember more of the details but it's been too long.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Thanks for closing it out and posting back. I guess two years isn't too late to do it....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Thanks for closing it out and posting back. I guess two years isn't too late to do it....
lol!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfer iMac hard drive? | CD/DVD Recordings »