Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Is my imac g3 dead? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/264575-my-imac-g3-dead.html)

Miga 01-23-2012 05:15 PM

Is my imac g3 dead?

i bought an used imac g3 indigo 350 mhz some days ago. it worked fine and i didnt find any problem at all ( except for the heating but i thought it was normal for this kind of computers ) today something weird hapened. the crt screen suddently went dark but the mac was still working so i restarted it, nothing apened, then i tried to shut it down and wait and turn it on again. when the mac was starting, something in the screen apered, like a flash, and a noise of something blowing, then computer just shut down himself. i tried to turn it on but the power button didnt do nothing. it started to smell like smoke coming from inside of it so i disconected the power supply ( i was afraid it could explode or something)

Can anyone tell what happened to my imac g3? Is it dead or is there a way to fix it?(sorry for the bad english,but i am portuguese ;P )

Miga 01-23-2012 05:18 PM

Is my imac g3 dead?

i bought an used imac g3 indigo 350 mhz some days ago. it worked fine and i didnt find any problem at all ( except for the heating but i thought it was normal for this kind of computers ) today something weird hapened. the crt screen suddently went dark but the mac was still working so i restarted it, nothing apened, then i tried to shut it down and wait and turn it on again. when the mac was starting, something in the screen apered, like a flash, and a noise of something blowing, then computer just shut down himself. i tried to turn it on but the power button didnt do nothing. it started to smell like smoke coming from inside of it so i disconected the power supply ( i was afraid it could explode or something)

Can anyone tell what happened to my imac g3? Is it dead or is there a way to fix it?(sorry for the bad english,but i am portuguese ;P )

pigoo3 01-23-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miga (Post 1359913)
...something in the screen apered, like a flash, and a noise of something blowing, then computer just shut down himself. i tried to turn it on but the power button didnt do nothing. it started to smell like smoke coming from inside of it so i disconected the power supply ( i was afraid it could explode or something)

I think that this says it all..."a flash, noise of something blowing, and smoke"...are all BAD signs!!!:(

Anything is fixable...but in this case (with a computer that's worth about $10-$20 US)...financially it would not be a good idea.

- Nick

pigoo3 01-23-2012 05:34 PM

Threads merged...not necessary to cross post.

Also please post in the correct sub-forum (Switcher Hangout & News and Community Announcements are not the best locations).

Thanks,

- Nick

harryb2448 01-23-2012 05:36 PM

Just forget it not worth repairing and it sounds like the CRT or power supply.

MacDude121 01-24-2012 01:45 AM

I think either the CRT monitor or power supply went. Both aren't really worth fixing on a computer of this age, unless you have experience and access to cheap parts.

Really, the only practical thing is to go buy a new one I'm afraid.