New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Hard Drive Swap

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Solid Sound

Solid Sound is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: just died :(

So I had a Mac G5 Dual 2 ghz but the logic board went out. If I get another G5 will I be able to install the hard drives from my old G5 that doesn't work into the new/used G5? What Do I need to match up to make sure I will have a successfull swap out. Can I get a used G5 quad core and put the hard drive in it or is the os not compatable OS 10.4.? I'm asking this because I have the original MBox with protools LE 7.4 on the old hard drives and need to get up and recording again. Money is tight so the cheapest way I can think of is buying a used G5 from macs.com or dvwarehouse.com or equivalent and putting my old hard drives in it that has all my music and programs. Will it work or what do I need to do to make it work? Thank you all for your replies in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

The hard drives are SATA and will fit the October 2005 Dual Core no problems.

Note what you said about the cash, just a reminder the days of the PowerPC architecture are behind us. You will be able to run Leopard OS X.5.8 the final operating system for G5's.

Make sure you get a Dual Core as there is a lot of confusion between the 2GHz, 2GHZ DP and 2GHz and higher Quad Cores. Suggest ducking the 2.5GHz Quad Core as it is liquid cooled and many are failing now. The best option would be the 2.3GHz Dual Core.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Solid Sound

Unfortunately I'am very aware that it is outdated, but money is an issue in my situation. Thanks for stating what I was thinking about the quad's failing. So I can just buy any 2.3Ghz Dual Core and be able to simply install the hard drives and turn it on even though they came out of a 2Ghz. the OS will work? I would think I would have to buy the same exact computer with the same exact logic board number, but I don't see why a 2.3Ghz Dual Core wouldn't work either. I don't have to match up anything? Taking into consideration the hard drives are SATA if the computer accepts SATA drives then I think it should work, but I don't have the money to waist if it doesn't work and have to ship it back. Thanks this is much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Solid Sound

Why the dual core over the dual processor?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it has much more processing power as it has two cores to each of two processors. MacTracker provides Geekbench scores for various models. A 2GHz DP returns 1671 and a 2.3GHz Dual Core comes in at 2108, nearly 30% more. G5 DP are getting on and with the price of G5's you should pick up a Dual Core cheap.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Solid Sound

Ok...Is this the G5 your talking about Power Macintosh G5 Dual Core (2.3) Specs (Late 2005, M9591LL/A, PowerMac11,2, A1177, 2023) @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks
Solid Sound

Is it not possible because the programs are for a dual processor not a single?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yes that is the machine and there no programs for DP or Dual Core or singles only. The software will always run better on the higher spec'd machine.

QUOTE Thanks
Solid Sound

Sorry my last post was in reply to someones question, but it appears they deleted their comment. In regards to what you said, thank you. I just wanted to make sure because I didn't know if programs had to be written differently for different processors. Now lets just hope that my hard drives didn't get toasted when the ram slots went out. I'll probly get that computer and put 2 or 4 more gigs of ram in it, buy the protools 8 upgrade and a used mbox 2. That would be within budget and I would have a better system than I did originally. Then I could just use the os that it comes with and instal my 2nd drive where I have all my protools session files and continue my work. Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you identify this G5????? | Upgrading a iMac G4 ? »