Mac unresponsive - mouse works
    Hi - I have a iMac. The keyboard and mouse both work but the mac is unresponsive. I get the login screen. The mouse enables me to scroll from user to user but when I click on my account, nothing happens. Can anybody help?? Please!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

What operating system are you using? What are the computer specs? Do you have the original install discs? All vital information which you have not supplied.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Following on from what Harry has advised, boot your Mac from the original install disk, and run Disk Utility > First Aid. Verify the Hard Disk and repair if necessary.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thanks for your replies. I have an iMac. Running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I do have the original install discs. I made an appointment with the Genius bar and right before going I tried the computer again. Booted up, moused places but the click would not work (corded mouse, tried a different mouse with same results). Drove the 22 miles to the Genius bar and, guess what, it worked perfectly. Darn, I hate when that happens. I will keep the mentioned advice and if it occurs again I will give them a try. Thanks so much for your responses. It's nice to know that help is available.

Thread Information