DDR 3 Ram in a 2.66 Intel Xeon?

Hi all - title says it all really - can I put DDR3 ram into my Macpro desktop 2.66 dualcore intel xeon?
    Its a fairly old machine I guess by todays standards, but Im guessing upgrading the ram will make a big performance difference.
    Currently have 4GB of DDR2.
    Thanks!
    Max

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    if it's one that takes DDR2, I'm gonna say no.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthewoodman View Post
    ...but Im guessing upgrading the ram will make a big performance difference.
    Upgrading ram does not necessarily lead to much if any performance difference if the activities/tasks you do on your computer don't even need the 4 gig of ram that is currently installed.

So to better "guestimate" if a ram upgrade will be beneficial for you...you should mention what you do on your Mac Pro.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you for the quick replies - I use it for video / audio editing and it does grind to a slow quite regularly. I recently got to use a similar machine with DDR3 recently and it whistled along.
    I wasnt sure if maybe there was a work around..

Specs:
    I recently got to use a similar machine with DDR3 recently and it whistled along.
    What sort of "similar" machine was this (be specific about the specs)?

If it was another Mac Pro...just because it looks the same on the outside...does not mean it's "similar" on the inside!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Boot it up to 16GB DDR2.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    What sort of "similar" machine was this (be specific about the specs)?

If it was another Mac Pro...just because it looks the same on the outside...does not mean it's "similar" on the inside!

- Nick
    Hi Nick - by similar I mean a more recent Mac Pro - I guess it would be useful to know if there was a date point of manufacture that allows installation of DDR3, and if there is a way of seeing if my machine fits within those specs? - whats the difference between the two memories fitting wise?

...and yes, I could always just fit more DDR2 which would probably have the same outcome?..!

Specs:
    Hi Nick - by similar I mean a more recent Mac Pro - I guess it would be useful to know if there was a date point of manufacture that allows installation of DDR3, and if there is a way of seeing if my machine fits within those specs? - whats the difference between the two memories fitting wise?
    In post #4 you mentioned using another computer (a newer Mac Pro)...and you seem to be attributing much of it's improved performance (versus your older Mac Pro)...to DDR3 ram.

I hate to say this...but the performance increase of that newer Mac Pro is due to a HECK of a lot more than just DDR3 ram! I don't know which "newer" Mac Pro model you were using but...it probably has:

- faster cpu's
    - more cpu's (more cores)
    - a redesigned, faster, and more efficient logic board architecture
    - a faster graphics card
    - and it probably has faster ram

...so the reasons that this other Mac Pro is faster...is WAYYYY MORE than just DDR3 ram!

Also consider this...you have a 2006 1st generation Mac Pro (Model 1,1)...DDR3 ram didn't show up in a Mac Pro until model 4,1 (4th generation)...so there's no way DDR3 ram is going to fit in your Mac Pro.

RAM evolution in the Mac Pro lineup:

- 1st gen. Mac Pro 1,1: PC5300 DDR2
    - 2nd Gen. Mac Pro 2,1: PC5300 DDR2
    - 3ed Gen. Mac Pro 3,1: PC6400 DDR2
    - 4th Gen. Mac Pro 4,1: PC3-8500 DDR3
    - 5th Gen. (2010 Nehalem) Mac Pro 5,1: PC3-8500 DDR3
    - 5th Gen. (2010 Westmere) Mac Pro 5,1: PC3-10600 DDR3

Basically if you want the performance of that newer Mac Pro you were using...then you're going to have to "scrape" together the cash & buy one! You cannot install DDR3 ram into a 2006 1st Gen. Mac Pro...and even if you could...it wouldn't have the performance of that newer Mac Pro you were using.

- Nick

p.s. There are some ways to speed up your Mac Pro...but "at the end of the day"...if you took the value of your Mac Pro + the cost of those upgrades + some additional cash = you could puchase a newer & faster Mac Pro model.

I hate to add a "me too" when smart people have given answers, but...

The type & speed of memory you can put in a computer is not decided by users - it is based on the design of the CPU and motherboard. The CPU and motherboard have specific timing parameters which the memory type is tied to.

HTH

Thread Information