New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

DDR 3 Ram in a 2.66 Intel Xeon?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxthewoodman

maxthewoodman is on a distinguished road

Hi all - title says it all really - can I put DDR3 ram into my Macpro desktop 2.66 dualcore intel xeon?
Its a fairly old machine I guess by todays standards, but Im guessing upgrading the ram will make a big performance difference.
Currently have 4GB of DDR2.
Thanks!
Max
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

if it's one that takes DDR2, I'm gonna say no.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthewoodman View Post
...but Im guessing upgrading the ram will make a big performance difference.
Upgrading ram does not necessarily lead to much if any performance difference if the activities/tasks you do on your computer don't even need the 4 gig of ram that is currently installed.

So to better "guestimate" if a ram upgrade will be beneficial for you...you should mention what you do on your Mac Pro.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
maxthewoodman

Thank you for the quick replies - I use it for video / audio editing and it does grind to a slow quite regularly. I recently got to use a similar machine with DDR3 recently and it whistled along.
I wasnt sure if maybe there was a work around..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I recently got to use a similar machine with DDR3 recently and it whistled along.
What sort of "similar" machine was this (be specific about the specs)?

If it was another Mac Pro...just because it looks the same on the outside...does not mean it's "similar" on the inside!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Boot it up to 16GB DDR2.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
maxthewoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What sort of "similar" machine was this (be specific about the specs)?

If it was another Mac Pro...just because it looks the same on the outside...does not mean it's "similar" on the inside!

- Nick
Hi Nick - by similar I mean a more recent Mac Pro - I guess it would be useful to know if there was a date point of manufacture that allows installation of DDR3, and if there is a way of seeing if my machine fits within those specs? - whats the difference between the two memories fitting wise?
QUOTE Thanks
maxthewoodman

...and yes, I could always just fit more DDR2 which would probably have the same outcome?..!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hi Nick - by similar I mean a more recent Mac Pro - I guess it would be useful to know if there was a date point of manufacture that allows installation of DDR3, and if there is a way of seeing if my machine fits within those specs? - whats the difference between the two memories fitting wise?
In post #4 you mentioned using another computer (a newer Mac Pro)...and you seem to be attributing much of it's improved performance (versus your older Mac Pro)...to DDR3 ram.

I hate to say this...but the performance increase of that newer Mac Pro is due to a HECK of a lot more than just DDR3 ram! I don't know which "newer" Mac Pro model you were using but...it probably has:

- faster cpu's
- more cpu's (more cores)
- a redesigned, faster, and more efficient logic board architecture
- a faster graphics card
- and it probably has faster ram

...so the reasons that this other Mac Pro is faster...is WAYYYY MORE than just DDR3 ram!

Also consider this...you have a 2006 1st generation Mac Pro (Model 1,1)...DDR3 ram didn't show up in a Mac Pro until model 4,1 (4th generation)...so there's no way DDR3 ram is going to fit in your Mac Pro.

RAM evolution in the Mac Pro lineup:

- 1st gen. Mac Pro 1,1: PC5300 DDR2
- 2nd Gen. Mac Pro 2,1: PC5300 DDR2
- 3ed Gen. Mac Pro 3,1: PC6400 DDR2
- 4th Gen. Mac Pro 4,1: PC3-8500 DDR3
- 5th Gen. (2010 Nehalem) Mac Pro 5,1: PC3-8500 DDR3
- 5th Gen. (2010 Westmere) Mac Pro 5,1: PC3-10600 DDR3

Basically if you want the performance of that newer Mac Pro you were using...then you're going to have to "scrape" together the cash & buy one! You cannot install DDR3 ram into a 2006 1st Gen. Mac Pro...and even if you could...it wouldn't have the performance of that newer Mac Pro you were using.

- Nick

p.s. There are some ways to speed up your Mac Pro...but "at the end of the day"...if you took the value of your Mac Pro + the cost of those upgrades + some additional cash = you could puchase a newer & faster Mac Pro model.

QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I hate to add a "me too" when smart people have given answers, but...

The type & speed of memory you can put in a computer is not decided by users - it is based on the design of the CPU and motherboard. The CPU and motherboard have specific timing parameters which the memory type is tied to.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfer data from old iMac to new iMac | Gains from Graphics Card Upgrade? -Powermac G5 »