New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro 1.1 Price

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_ville

nick_ville is on a distinguished road

I am thinking about buying a Mac Pro 1.1 (with two 2.0 dual core Xeons, 1 gb ram, 250 and 500 gb HD) and wasn't sure what I should offer. The owner says it is in great shape, but I can see it before purchase since it is local. They listed at $800 (Cdn), but I can't spend that on this Mac. I feel I will need to upgrade the ram, etc.
I was hoping this might be a good start for me into the world of Mac computers, but maybe I would be better off getting a Mac mini, Macbook, or something. How much would be too low to offer for this?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

personally if you just want to try out mac os and what not i would get a refurb mac mini. i have only about 450 into my mini with a monitor,mini,mouse,keyboard.

if you want portability try out the macbook.

either one would be good.

what are you trying to do on the new to you Mac?

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Go with the Mac Pro and upgrade it. $500.00 and toss in X5355 quad core processors, SSD and update graphics and can run up to four hard drives. Up to 32GB memory

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
personally if you just want to try out mac os and what not i would get a refurb mac mini. i have only about 450 into my mini with a monitor,mini,mouse,keyboard.

if you want portability try out the macbook.

either one would be good.

what are you trying to do on the new to you Mac?
I actually don't need anything too wild. I like the fact that the Pro would be upgradable down the road a little bit. It might be fun to try some editing and that too, since the Mac Pro has Final Cut, but that would be more recreational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Go with the Mac Pro and upgrade it. $500.00 and toss in X5355 quad core processors, SSD and update graphics and can run up to four hard drives. Up to 32GB memory
I wasn't sure how upgradable it would be to be honest. I know from everymac.com that it will take lots of ram, and there are some graphics choices, but didn't really think about the processor too much.

Compared to a 2008ish Core 2 mini, would this Mac Pro be a more capable machine? Also, I guess you meant an offer of $500 for the Mac as is would be fair?

Thanks for the input BTW!
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Mac2sell.com says it is worth aprox $680

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to disagree but a 2GHz is a bottom of the line machine and $500 would be a fair price but be prepared to pay more, particularly if it comes with the originals system install discs, OS X.4.7 and manuals. MacTracker shows Geekbench scores. A 2009 2.26GHz Mini comes in at 3008 and the 2GHz Mac Pro 1.1 at 3714, some 20% faster.

Placing Intel X5355 CPUs in my Mac Pro 1.1 with an SSD the score came in at 9214!

Go to Mac Rumours they have a special Mac Pro forum which deals with all sorts of upgrades, processors, graphics, EFI Firmware etc.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

My Mac Pro was a 1.1, upgraded with the X5355 CPUs, SSD, ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB graphics card, 22X superdrive and 16GB memory and has the Mac Pro 2.1 EFI Firmware upgrade.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Not to disagree but a 2GHz is a bottom of the line machine and $500 would be a fair price but be prepared to pay more, particularly if it comes with the originals system install discs, OS X.4.7 and manuals. MacTracker shows Geekbench scores. A 2009 2.26GHz Mini comes in at 3008 and the 2GHz Mac Pro 1.1 at 3714, some 20% faster.

Placing Intel X5355 CPUs in my Mac Pro 1.1 with an SSD the score came in at 9214!

Go to Mac Rumours they have a special Mac Pro forum which deals with all sorts of upgrades, processors, graphics, EFI Firmware etc.

Mac Pro - MacRumors Forums

My Mac Pro was a 1.1, upgraded with the X5355 CPUs, SSD, ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB graphics card, 22X superdrive and 16GB memory and has the Mac Pro 2.1 EFI Firmware upgrade.
I did a quick search online for those processors, and came up with this. Is there any way that this is legitimate? I assume not.

Also, from those benchmarks, the 2.0 Mac Pro looks like it would probably keep up with a newer Mini too. I wasn't totally sure if it would.

My thing is, I could ask for $400-500, and see what happens. Then if I get it, use it for a while, upgrade if/when needed....or I could get a new Mini, with an i5 for ~$690ish with tax.....I just don't know
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

That price looks great. For comparison do a search on eBay entering 'Intel X5355 CPU' Do not know the company selling the X5355 but $180 for a pair is a good price. Even Down Under there are quite a few on eBay Australia at differing prices. Best to get a matched pair if possible. There are a lot about as the same processor was used by Apple, Dell, HP etc. PC Machines generally were single processors, so it is better to use the matched pair with the same serial number. Having said that have read unmatched processors still work:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...All-Categories

The second item on the list shows the serial number, the bottom line of print.

QUOTE Thanks
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

How much "can" you spend if you need to? It would also help if you indicated what your needs are in a computer. Bear mind that, although you appear hesitant to spend over a certain amount since you are new to Macs and just feeling things out, the reality is that all Intel Macs will run Windows also. Some people buy MacBooks in particular and run only Windows. Even if you find you don't like OS X or it doesn't meet your needs, you simply can't go wrong buying a Mac.

Personally… I wouldn't consider the first-gen Mac Pro. I had one and though it was baseline model, I had upgraded the graphics card and bumped the RAM to 8GB before getting a mid-2010 iMac. The iMac is much faster all around, and I have the i3 with the upgraded GPU option… far from the fastest model available then or now. On the other hand, if you need portability, you can't go wrong with a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
How much "can" you spend if you need to? It would also help if you indicated what your needs are in a computer...
Even if you find you don't like OS X or it doesn't meet your needs, you simply can't go wrong buying a Mac.

Personally… I wouldn't consider the first-gen Mac Pro. I had one and though it was baseline model, I had upgraded the graphics card and bumped the RAM to 8GB before getting a mid-2010 iMac. The iMac is much faster all around, and I have the i3 with the upgraded GPU option… far from the fastest model available then or now. On the other hand, if you need portability, you can't go wrong with a MacBook.
I would be able to spend $400 or so now (maybe a bit more soon), but would prefer to spend less (as we all would). I don't think that the Mac Pro seller was interested at all; the add is off, and after mentioning that I could only justify a "few hundred" (I asked what her bottom dollar was, not wanting to go higher than she would take...) she mentioned that for that much, she would "rather donate it to someone who needs it."

There is a 2008 Macbook listed locally for $500, but the Mac2sell (thanks RustProofCorn) site has it at about $410 (2.4 Ghz Core 2, 2 gb ram, 320 gb HDD). This might be an option...

I really don't need an extremely powerful computer. I will be using it for basic needs [internet, audio/HD video playback (maybe as a media center/server depending on what I get), data entry/processing, possibly some games if capable]. I just love the look of the Mac Pros, and I assumed the 1.1 would be more than capable for what I need. Would the 2008 Macbook be able to handle HD vids with ease also?
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Bump.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_ville View Post
Bump.
It's very irksome, and quite frankly rude when people do that. Especially after only a few hours since the last post.
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
It's very irksome, and quite frankly rude when people do that. Especially after only a few hours since the last post.
I apologize. I'm new to the forum, and don't know how active it is. This thread was quite active last night, so since it was about 12 hours I thought I would give it a try...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
There is a 2008 Macbook listed locally for $500, but the Mac2sell (thanks RustProofCorn) site has it at about $410 (2.4 Ghz Core 2, 2 gb ram, 320 gb HDD). This might be an option...
$400-$450 (US dollars) would be better (I'm not sure if the figures you quoted are US or Canadian $$$).

Quote:
I really don't need an extremely powerful computer.

Would the 2008 Macbook be able to handle HD vids with ease also?
Remember...you can't expect to get $1500 performance with a $400-$500 budget. So a 2008 MacBook won't be able to do as much as a 2011 MacBook Pro.

But with that said...a 2.4ghz MacBook can do a lot (my wife used to have one & did pretty much anything she wanted to do with it)...modest gaming, internet videos (Hulu, YouTube, etc.)...and of course it will play DVD's & videos downloaded from Amazon, etc.

HTH

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nick_ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
$400-$450 (US dollars) would be better (I'm not sure if the figures you quoted are US or Canadian $$$).

Remember...you can't expect to get $1500 performance with a $400-$500 budget. So a 2008 MacBook won't be able to do as much as a 2011 MacBook Pro.

But with that said...a 2.4ghz MacBook can do a lot (my wife used to have one & did pretty much anything she wanted to do with it)...modest gaming, internet videos (Hulu, YouTube, etc.)...and of course it will play DVD's & videos downloaded from Amazon, etc.

HTH
Thanks for the input! I do realize that it won't be able to do everything a new computer would be able to do, but I want something that would be somewhat capable, you know. It sounds like something like this might serve me well enough, so it may well be the route I take.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ssd drive in imac | Which Mac is the faster overall processor? »