New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Looking for some help with my mdd g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdxhizors

cdxhizors is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I just picked up a G4 MDD 867mhz Dual Proccessor for 20 bucks on c-list..I love mac's and couldn't pass up such a good deal. It came with a 120 gb and 80 gb hard drive and a Superdrive(dvdrw).

A few questions I'd like to ask if someone can help, I replaced the fan with a quieter faster one and it seems to be idling at about 42-44c. Does this seem like a good temp? I was messing around and opened all office programs,ilife and itunes and stuff and it still only hit 45. Seems good but I'm not sure?...

Next is how can I improve the graphics? It has the geforce4 mx(EWW)...Really old and is 32 Mbs. I have a PC version of the ati 9200se which would be a good step up if someone could help me flash it.

Next and final is should I keep leopard on here or put tiger on it. It seems to be running great with leopard with minimal hiccups.

I appreciate anybody who read through this and can give me some help. Thanks and happy holidays!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Those temps seem perfectly normal to me. You could replace the fan if you wanted to make it more quiet though.

Graphics cards for Macs are picky, and more often than not, Flashed cards don't work either.

The best graphics card that you can get for this model (that I know of) would be the GeForce4 Ti graphics card with 128MB of VRAM.
QUOTE Thanks
cdxhizors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Those temps seem perfectly normal to me. You could replace the fan if you wanted to make it more quiet though.

Graphics cards for Macs are picky, and more often than not, Flashed cards don't work either.

The best graphics card that you can get for this model (that I know of) would be the GeForce4 Ti graphics card with 128MB of VRAM.
Awesome, Yeah I did replace the fan and I have it on a fan controller.

That sucks about the graphics cards. I knew they were a pain for macs so I didn't expect much. Thanks!! I'm going to be picking up a couple of powerbook g4s here soon so those should be a bit better.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

For the MDD look for an ATI Radeon 9600 or a 9800. The 9800 must be a Mac Pro and there were a number of 9600's made for both PC and Mac. As a rule of thumb a PC card will never work in a Mac, unless it is a special model or has been flashed. Flahing is like the lottery. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Sometimes chances are you end up with a dead card that will not work at all in either system.

And the powerbooks will only be better if they have much faster processors such as the 1.42Ghz.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cdxhizors

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
For the MDD look for an ATI Radeon 9600 or a 9800. The 9800 must be a Mac Pro and there were a number of 9600's made for both PC and Mac. As a rule of thumb a PC card will never work in a Mac, unless it is a special model or has been flashed. Flahing is like the lottery. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Sometimes chances are you end up with a dead card that will not work at all in either system.

And the powerbooks will only be better if they have much faster processors such as the 1.42Ghz.
Honestly this thing has slowed down sooo much in the past few days.... Not sure what I did to it. It still runs just as cool and such but it keeps randomly freezing trieing to do the simplest of things.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Any chance ou got the system install discs and can repair disk when booted from the disc?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Yes, that does sound like a failing hard drive. Go into Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T Status, it should say "Verified"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMac - 64/32 bit? | screen foggy »