New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is it possible >>

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Snowleopard

Snowleopard is on a distinguished road

To make a separate partition on your Main HD, to back up your computer, IE like Time-Machine but on another partition, so if the main OS fails you can revert to that backup, does that make sense? Thanks guys

09' Apple iMAC 3.06Ghz
'10 Apple MacBook Pro (unibody) 2.4 GHz
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes, but a little pointless, because if the OS fails the chances are that it will be the HD at fault, and you will lose the partition anyway.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
What happens if your HDD fails? You are left with nothing to boot from because you can't access any partitions on that drive. The recommended methods are to have an external backup and even a backup of that drive on DVD or on another external drive. Someday when your drive fails (and it's only a matter of time), you'll be glad you have all of those backups.
A personal preference is to have a Time Machine backup to easily go back to previous versions of documents, media, etc. and a cloned drive (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) to boot off of if your Mac's drive gives you problems or dies entirely.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Snowleopard

Can this be done from a DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
What happens if your HDD fails? You are left with nothing to boot from because you can't access any partitions on that drive. The recommended methods are to have an external backup and even a backup of that drive on DVD or on another external drive. Someday when your drive fails (and it's only a matter of time), you'll be glad you have all of those backups.
A personal preference is to have a Time Machine backup to easily go back to previous versions of documents, media, etc. and a cloned drive (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) to boot off of if your Mac's drive gives you problems or dies entirely.

09' Apple iMAC 3.06Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

External HD's are dirt cheap these days..so grab one, plug it into the USB port and point Time Machine at it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Pianoblack3

Pianoblack3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Late '11 Core i7, iMac Early 2006 Core 2 Duo, MacBook Early 2006 Core 2 Duo and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.
*cough* Lion recovery partition *cough*
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
External HD's are dirt cheap these days..so grab one, plug it into the USB port and point Time Machine at it..
Ahem, they were, not so much at the moment, thanks to the floods in Thailand.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Snowleopard

Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoblack3 View Post

09' Apple iMAC 3.06Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoblack3 View Post
I take it you are unaware that, if the HDD fails, the recovery partition will be useless as well?
QUOTE Thanks
Snowleopard

Today i had to repair my drive - how often will this happen?

09' Apple iMAC 3.06Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
Today i had to repair my drive - how often will this happen?
Impossible to answer.

HDD are a trouble prone component with Macs and PCs, both. But it is like rolling dice. You may get one that runs years with no problems or get one that dies within hours of first powering it on.

That is why it is absolutely essential if you want to preserve your data (and memories-photos etc) that you develop a backup strategy and consistently follow it.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Snowleopard

Yeah your really spot on, i should maintain this computer alot more, whats the possibility of using my Macbook as a backup to the iMAC?

09' Apple iMAC 3.06Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Not as cheap as they were last year, but I use two of these for backups.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expans...5013352&sr=8-5

I keep one in a safe deposti box at our bank and switch them out every month. Total cost is $170 at todays prices, but I feel it is well worth it to protect my data.

Just my opinion.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Whats that?
Lion reinstaller that is a separate partition in of itself. You restart, hold Ctrl until you see the different drives show up and select it to reinstall Lion.
As mentioned, it's useless if your entire drive fails ...unless you put it on a thumb drive or CD.

Quote:
Yeah your really spot on, i should maintain this computer alot more, whats the possibility of using my Macbook as a backup to the iMAC?
Again, possible but not a good idea. You're just borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Please give this thread a read and get yourself an external HDD.
Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with new iMac and TV | Keyboard options »