New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac: replace HD or time for new iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n8cas

n8cas is on a distinguished road

Do I get a new hard drive on my current iMac or should I just get a new iMac?

Factors that will weigh in on this decision:

- Money: I don't even know how much the genius bar will charge me to put in a new hard drive on my current iMac (does anyone know the approx. dollar amount?) Money will factor in to this decision. It's not a major factor, but if money wasn't a factor at all, I'd obviously buy a new iMac.

- Just got eyeTV 250 plus & appleTV. Will I run into processing problems with these new additions to the apple family?

- With eyeTV 250 plus, It'd probably make sense to get the 27in iMac as opposed to my current 19in or 20in iMac

Here's my current iMac (2009, I think) Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): W88*********
Hardware UUID: *************************

Thanks in advance for your feedback/advice!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Why do you need a new hard drive?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

disk utility red messages - can't repair. Super slow performances - constant hard restarts needed - it's shot beyond my capabilities to repair - nothing is wrong with anything else on my current iMac to my knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What are the messages, can you give us a screen shot. Some of the error messages in Disk Utility mean the file hierarchy cannot be repaired and the disk itself is OK. A complete reformat and reinstall (make sure you have a time machine backup), will fix that - depending on the error messages.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

maybe i should try a reformat..... I have a back up
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have a 2.4 Ghz 20" iMac. It runs everything I currently run without an issue. Apple TV worked on my Power PC G5 iMac. EyeTV I use all the time. Not one issue.

You can change the Hard Drive yourself if you can get suction cups to take off the glass front. I did it on this machine with no issues.

Boot from the OSX DVD that came with your machine. Don't install but click on the Utilities menu up top and run Disk Utility from the DVD. See if SMART passes or Fails.
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

can't I do SMART right from disk utility? The hard drive is not completely shot - as I am still using it now.
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

SMART failed when I ran it from disk utility
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8cas View Post
SMART failed when I ran it from disk utility
Your HD is definitely dead.

However, the cost for a replacement drive isn't that much at all, and replacing the drive is certainly a much more cost effective solution.

If it was something like the logic board, I could see a new Mac being a possibility, but it's just a Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
bsrngeorge

bsrngeorge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 27", Macbook 13"

On those models you don't have to worry about the temp sensor on the hard drive like the 21.5 and 27" models so replacing the hard drive is really not that hard if your not scared of poking around inside the computer.

I have been building and repairing computers for 20 years so I don't know what skills you have, some people just don't like touching electronics.

If you want to take a look at what is involved go to ifixit dot com and look at all of the pictures they have before you decide. Otherwise there are plenty of people out there that will do it for you pretty cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

Followed some of your advice to reformat. However, my back-up is on my time capsule that WAS connecting to my iMac via Ethernet network cable. Now using disk utility from my start up disk, disk utility does not recognize my time capsule that is hooked up via Ethernet cable, but it recognizes my other external 250gb hard drive, hooked up via USB cable.

I started a new thread with this problem, but got zero responses. Here is what I sais:

Quote:
Reformating iMac HD problem...
I have a back up on my time capsule disk. However when I set the target disk mode on my iMac to my install DVD and open up disk utility, it does not show my time capsule disk (even though I am connected via ethernet from the time capsule right to the iMac).

How do I access my back up and get it to restore my system?

I tried typing in a URL address of my back up file (atp://na************.sparsebundle) but it said I need to authenticate but doesn't give me a chance to type any password in. It just says cancel or okay and then goes back to start.
Time capsule has a USB port. Could I get a USB male to USB male cable to plug into iMac since its not recognizing Ethernet?

Please help me out. I have three days left to try out eyeTV before I can not return it. I can't try it out without my iMac. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8cas View Post
Followed some of your advice to reformat. However, my back-up is on my time capsule that WAS connecting to my iMac via Ethernet network cable. Now using disk utility from my start up disk, disk utility does not recognize my time capsule that is hooked up via Ethernet cable, but it recognizes my other external 250gb hard drive, hooked up via USB cable.

I started a new thread with this problem, but got zero responses. Here is what I sais:

Time capsule has a USB port. Could I get a USB male to USB male cable to plug into iMac since its not recognizing Ethernet?

Please help me out. I have three days left to try out eyeTV before I can not return it. I can't try it out without my iMac. Thanks.
If you want to restore from your TC backup I think you are better off using Migration Assistant.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
If you want to restore from your TC backup I think you are better off using Migration Assistant.
Thank you. How can I use it if my HD has been erased? I have snow lepoard on a DVD. Could I load that? I can't even get the original OS X cd out of the computer. And it says that this OS X can't be installed on this computer.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What OSX SL DVD do you own? Full Retail or a DVD that came with another Mac?

The DVD's that come with a Mac Model will only install on that exact model/specs.

Do you have a full Time Machine backup?
QUOTE Thanks
n8cas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What OSX SL DVD do you own? Full Retail or a DVD that came with another Mac?
full retail

Do you have a full Time Machine backup?

Yes, It backed up complete on Dec. 15th. It hasn't been able to since, but it doesn't matter as I did not add or make any big changes since 12/15. Can I use remote assistant and access OS X SL from that computer (because I can't use the OS X install disc that came with my iMac and the OS X SL disc that I bought.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replaced iMac HD, still same issue, help! | imac 27" a1312 black screen fans blasting »