New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What is the best video card I can get for the G4 PowerMac MDD (2003)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GameGuru

GameGuru is on a distinguished road

It has the Radeon 9000 in it now and wanted to get the best card available for this model. What should I get? From my research it looks like a Geforce Ti4600 but that is going on eBay for $100 and don't really want to put that into it. What is the second best card?

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Will this work in my G4?

Genuine Apple OEM ATI 9800 XT for PowerMac G5.
PCB: 109-A14400-11, Apple Part: 630-4998, 102A1440310
Supports Dual Analog/Digital displays with independent resolutions and refresh rates.
Supports Core Image Hardware Acceleration, Quartz Extreme and Rotation.
Compatible with Apples "Motion" Software.
ATY,R360 GPU ~ 400mhz, Memory ~ 360mhz (Dual Data Rate Effective Speed 720mhz).
8 parallel pixel pipelines and 4 parallel geometry engines.
256MB VRAM with 256-bit DDR memory interface.
Anti-aliased points and lines or full scene anti-aliasing (2X, 4X, 6X).
32-bit (24+8-bit stencil) Z Buffer, Fast Z and color clears.
SmartShader 2.1, SmoothVision 2.1, HYPER Z III+.
Supports PowerMac G5s w 8X AGP Slots; Does not support Late 2005 G5s
Dual Slot Card with variable speed fan/heatsink unit.

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Your model has a 4X AGP slot so you need a 4X card

Power Macintosh G4 1.25 (MDD 2003) Specs (Mirrored Drive Doors 2003, M9145LL/A, PowerMac3,6, M8570, 1914C) @ EveryMac.com

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Not that I would disagree with louishen, but an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro will run in your MDD G4. Note the card you refer to the XT is not a Mac card, so it would have to be flashed in a PC which is always a risky business.

Also be aware that flashing that card kills the DVI port stone dead, only VGA will work. You will find the Mac Pro cards much dearer than PC cards but that isn the way the cookie is. Hoild on tom your socks when you check out prices. Here is an article by LowEndMac on the card. Note what is says about a flashed PC card, paragraph 2:-

http://lowendmac.com/video/agp/radeon-9800.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I'm with louishen on this one - I'm pretty sure you will have to physically modify an 8x card to work on a MDD/4x. Apple messed up by using supposedly reserved pins for the wrong thing.

I really want to tell the OP NOT to bother with this upgrade - you aren't going to get smooth video playback by doing this - the CPU and memory bandwidth keep the G4s from achieving modern video playback.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Used a 9800 Mac Pro in my MDD G4 days no problem and that business messing with the pins is why a flashed PC card will not work DVI in a Mac. Really anything over $50 is not worth spending the money on as PowerPC, particularly G4, days are over. Put it towards a later machine.

If you decide to go this way have a read of this link on the card being the fastest available for a MDD G4:-

9600xt vs 9800 pro in a MDD? - MacRumors Forums

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

I don't want to play modern games, I want to play games from 2003 and 2004 perfect and be able to edit video and pictures well. Once I master the Mac world then I will probably upgrade to a G5 PowerMac for around $200 (what I am seeing on eBay) and then might splurge on a brand new PowerMac in the future!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Confused as to which Mac to buy | Looking at used iMac »