New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G3 imac cdrom (Mac newbie)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lotas

Good morning. i just got my first mac, a G3 333 iMac running OS 8.6, and the cdrom drive in it is dead. im just trying to find out what type is it? i heard its one out of a Powerbook, but which one? i have also heard that a USB cdrom drive will work, but will it boot from CD? im getting extra memory and installing Panther soon, but need to boot from CD for this to work. i had an idea of taking the cdrom drive out, changing the hard drive cable to have 2 connectors off it and then putting a power splitter so i can put in a normal cdrom drive in. anyone tried this? would the mac support 2 IDE devices like this?
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
zarknl

I have the same mac, it is a matsu****a CR-175-D ATAPI IDE laptop type drive.

Other laptop drives will probably work too if they have the same interface and size.

Good luck,

Zarknl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotas
Good morning. i just got my first mac, a G3 333 iMac running OS 8.6, and the cdrom drive in it is dead. im just trying to find out what type is it? i heard its one out of a Powerbook, but which one? i have also heard that a USB cdrom drive will work, but will it boot from CD? im getting extra memory and installing Panther soon, but need to boot from CD for this to work. i had an idea of taking the cdrom drive out, changing the hard drive cable to have 2 connectors off it and then putting a power splitter so i can put in a normal cdrom drive in. anyone tried this? would the mac support 2 IDE devices like this?
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
lotas

thanks for the info, but i just found out a major hack on the imac. read this (http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archi...120.php#001120) blog post. basicly im taking the hard drive out, putting in a different ide cable (with 3 connectors, not 2 (board and hdd in case you think im miscounting)) and splitting the power. so i can then have a standard ide drive mounted (probably) outside the case. this is a kind of messy way of doing it, but in theory it should work. i have seen others do this, and i cant see why not!
Thanks for the info about what type it is though. the closet i found to it will cost me about 300 euro so im guessing this is my best option.
QUOTE Thanks
HopperJonusFang

Another thing you should consider is upgrading your RAM.
I know I'm not one to talk with just 128Mb at the moment, but I don't think Panther will like 32Mb although I'm no expert can anyone back me up on this?
QUOTE Thanks
lotas

its actually got 288mb ram now. upgraded a while back. getting an other 256mb dimm. tried it in both slots so no problem in it taking it. so ill max it out at 512 pretty cool.
QUOTE Thanks
imstillatwork

how should the drives be jumpered to do this? cable select does not work, master slave does not seem to work either... anyone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .dmg to cdr/dvd bootable | Cube Second Hand ??? »