New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Messed up Password, now what's my KeyChain Password?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Annamarie___

Annamarie___ is on a distinguished road

Was going to change my login/account password on my imac to a different one today, thing I accidentally hit "ok" when I didn't mean to at the moment, so now I don't think I even have a password for the "old password" so I can't crate a new one at all. When I just hit "ok" now on the password change screen these two notifications come up now.

1. "You did not enter a password for this user account. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Because you have not entered a password for this user account, anyone can log in to your computer."

2. "The password for your “login” keychain will be changed to your new password."
"If your “login” keychain is locked, you need to enter your current “login” keychain password before your password is changed."

So what do I do? What's my "login" Keychain? I don't want to log-off or turn off my computer till this is fixed, since I don't know what my password or Keychain pass word is now. HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It sounds to me like you don't have a password. At all. In other words, don't enter anything into the password field when prompted. Just hit the RETURN key, click OK, or whatever the prompt is.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using a hdtv as a secondary monitor for an iam | Should I replace my iMac with a Mac Pro as a high school video editor? »