New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which DVD-R DL will work better with the drive in my G4 MDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GameGuru

GameGuru is on a distinguished road

Verbatim or Ritek Ridata? For $15 I can get a three pack of the Verbatims and for $16 I can get a 25 pack spindle of the Ritek.

Will they both work with the drive in my PowerMac in my signature (it is the stock drive to the best of my knowledge)?

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Double layer discs will not be burnable on a G4 with the stock optical drive. However I upgraded my G4 with a Pioneer 110 drive (you can also get the Pioneer 115 internal drives as well as other.

The pioneer drives write to DL discs, its a cheap upgrade and with the Pioneers they just work out the box with no driver hunting

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

I will burn on PC, just need my Mac to read it.

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Which one of those brands does the Mac READ better? Or isn't there a difference?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Any that care native to the Mac OS. Like louishen prefer Pioneer as all models are recognized as native. You may feel be able to pick up a 110 or 112 model on eBay. These drives are now about six or seven years old, are DL, and are quite cheap. With pre-loved goods of course you always take a chance and the latest Pioneer, DVR-118, a 22X, is quite cheap around the $50 mark.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Ok I am not looking (at least right now) on upgrading the DVD drive in my Mac, I just want to make sure the blank media I bought will be READ by the current drive fine.

Can the stock CD/DVD drive in my G4 MDD READ a Ritek DVD-R Dual Layer fine? I will burn data to it from my Windows machine, I just need the G4 drive to READ the disc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Check your system profiler info in the Finder, it will tell you either way, but it should read it no issue, yes.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Ok just burned an image on the new Ritek DVD-R Dual Layer and it kicks it out after about 10 seconds. Just put a blank in the drive and it does the same thing.

Why won't the drive read these discs?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Because it's either A) faulty or B) not a DL burner, but if it's not reading a pre-burned disc, then I'd say the former.
Does it read retail DVD films ok?

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Yeah it reads all pressed (retail) discs and all DVD-R discs I put in it. I believe this is the stock drive and was told it should read DVD-R Dual Layer. It just spits them out instead of reading them.

And again I am not attempting to BURN these with the Mac, I am attempting to READ DVD-R DL BURNED on a PC.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Then there is a compatibiluty issue with the way the PC is burning them.
As an example, in Toast on the Mac, you can burn Mac only or Mac and PC readable discs. I suspect the same will apply.
What program did you use to burn on the PC?

QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

I used Nero. So did it burn incorrectly? What program on the PC should I burn it with?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Nero is fine, but check the settings you used, and see if you can make sure they are set for Mac and PC.

QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Ok I am not messing with it anymore. I am bidding on a Pioneer drive for my MDD that can read and write for +R and -R dual layer discs. I can't wait to get it!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Trackpad/Magic Mouse stop working occasionally | Will a mac mini work with flash »