New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac i5 usb ports not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

omegablue_ro

omegablue_ro is on a distinguished road

Ive just bought an iMac. Im really sorry now for buying it but since I cant contact Apple Support by phone in my 90 days ( they dont like Afgh. numbers) I ended up here looking for some answers.
Ive installed BootCamp and Windows 7 Home Premium on my iMac.
The problem I have is very strange:
1. If i boot up in Lion everything is fine ( boot time 30 seconds) except for the USB ports 1 and 3 that doesent react anything I would put in them.
2. If I boot up in Windows the computer will hang for about 1 minute with a flickering line in the left up corner, wait for another 4 minutes with just the Microsoft logo on it and finally boot. The USB ports 1 and 3 doesent work in this case either.
3. If I boot up in Windows and during the 5 minutes period when the computer is hanging im gonna plug in an USB keyboard in ports 1 or 3 ( not 2 and 4 - which are actually working) the flickering line will dissapear in less than 1 second and the Windows will boot up in less than 30 seconds.
The ports 1 and 3 doesent work after that.
Does anyone know what should I do to fix that?
TKS in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would take it back since all USB ports are tied together and 2 and 4 are apparently working I would say that is a hardware problem.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnypn

johnnypn is on a distinguished road

Hi Omega,

Have you resolved the usb problem? I've just bought an iMac and I have the same issue with the usb ports and, special for me, you can call it a bonus, my sd card is not working.

John
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypn View Post
Hi Omega,

Have you resolved the usb problem? I've just bought an iMac and I have the same issue with the usb ports and, special for me, you can call it a bonus, my sd card is not working.

John
If the iMac is new, take it back. Obviously a defect.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnypn

johnnypn is on a distinguished road

I was afraid of that.

In my city there is no AASP so I have to send it via a courier. I have to prepare myself before doing such a thing, because for at least 2 weeks I will be without it.

Thanks for reply!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OSX desktop/finder froze!? | iMac HD compatibility »