New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External Blu Ray for Mac Mini 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark8par

mark8par is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am looking for a blu ray player for my mac mini (2011 Model). Ideally it would be powered by the mac like the supadrive is and also be be able to RW bluray and dvd.

any suggestions most welcome
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Check with the folks at Other World Computing. They have live support and an 800 number you can call.
QUOTE Thanks
Moe_Syzlak

Moe_Syzlak is on a distinguished road

So I've done some homework and chatted with the guys at OWC, but wanted to float this to see if anyone had any further experience/advice. I am looking for a burner for my Mac Mini. I would mainly be using it for ripping CDs I've purchased (yeah I'm old school like that) and importing to iTunes. But this set up also doesn't have a DVD or Blu Ray player connected to it, so I thought two birds/one stone. Since blu ray isn't natively supported, it seems I would need a drive like this one:

OWC OWCMRF8UEBDW12 Mercury Pro 12X Blu-Ray... in stock at OWC

Plus software like this:

The First and Best Mac Blu-ray Player Software, movie/DVD/video player

If I do this, I should be able to do everything I want to do including watching blu ray movies, correct?

Thanks in advance. Also if anyone has better suggestions for drives or software, feel free to chime in.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
If I do this, I should be able to do everything I want to do including watching blu ray movies, correct?
Yes. Certainly not inexpensive since the software alone is $59.95 if memory serves me correctly. However, our members who have gone that route seem to be satisfied with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 27 settings changed | Building a low budget G5 »