New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Powermac G4 2003 prepping for new owner (which is a relative)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Since I am not worthy of replying to a thread in the buy and sell sub-forum about prepping your mac for sale, I am posting my question here.
I have been given a 2003 G4 iMac 1ghz 256mb 80gb HDD from my sister-in-law. I am wanting to wipe all personal information as if the computer is new. However, big problem is that my sister-in-law cannot find the original discs that came with this iMac. She kept the keyboard and mouse and I have not yet fired it up. I just haven't done it as I just got it and I will have to turn off my own iMac and use it's keyboard and mouse to do it.
I read the link in the buy and sell post by cwa107 about prepping your mac for sale. But if you go to that link and read it to the end, in the comments section, people have correctly posted about the fact that all the previous users information will still be on the computer upon completion of this procedure.
Q1 My sister-in-law wishes me to truly wipe all personal data from the HDD, however without the original discs, is this possible?
Q2 Assuming Q1 answer is no, if I am able to purchase the appropriate os x version whether it is tiger or panther, will it include most or some of the programs I am accustomed to on my 2009 iMac, like iCal, Safari, Mail, address book, iPhoto, iDvd, iMovie, etc?
Q3 If I am able somehow to call and get a live body at Apple Canada, can I buy a copy of the appropriate os x and software that came with this computer now that our immediate family will be the lawful owners?

Not sure how to proceed with this, but really do want to have this almost vintage kept in mint condition iMac. Anyone able to guide me through some of this?

Thanks

p.s. two years on this forum 170 posts, paid member but no posting privileges in the buy and sell area, really?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First... I don't know why you can not post in BST, I suspect it's a glitch in your profile or the system. We we will look into fixing it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Q1 My sister-in-law wishes me to truly wipe all personal data from the HDD, however without the original discs, is this possible?
Q2 Assuming Q1 answer is no, if I am able to purchase the appropriate os x version whether it is tiger or panther, will it include most or some of the programs I am accustomed to on my 2009 iMac, like iCal, Safari, Mail, address book, iPhoto, iDvd, iMovie, etc?
Q3 If I am able somehow to call and get a live body at Apple Canada, can I buy a copy of the appropriate os x and software that came with this computer now that our immediate family will be the lawful owners?
Using an install disk you can completely erase everything and start over. But as you say, without an install disk it's not possible.

You may be able to purchase a retail copy of either Panther or Tiger from eBay or your local Craig's list. Apple does not stock either for sale. I believe they also no longer stock Leopard. You might want to contact Apple Canada to make sure though since I'm making reference to Apple USA.

As far as those applications you're asking about, yes, they will be included on the original install media but of course will be the older versions.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

My top question is: Is there any way to wipe all their personal data but still leave the programs intact without the original install disc?

If above question is NO, then is there a ligit way of me buying the equivalent of an original install disc without remortgaging my house? After all it is a 9 year old machine. I would be willing to part with 50 bucks or so to buy but hundreds??? Preferably I would like to get a disc that is the equivalent of the original install disc. Is this possible? Obviously if I could find such a disc, would it be legal for me to use? Would the mac accept it after a complete HDD wipe bearing in mind it would be a different SN than the original OS X and associated software?

If I do have to start from scratch completely wiping the hard drive and installing Tiger OS X (I guess Tiger would be appropriate for this?), would buying a USED full retail copy off of ebay, Kijiji, Craigslist etc. be legal to use? If not where do I get such software in a new unused condition?

What are my options here? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can keep the applications if you create a new admin account for your relative and then login to the new account

You can then delete your old admin account to create a machine for your relative with his/her own account and your details deleted.

For extra security you can also use disk utility to erase free space once your old account has gone

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

Actually it's the other way around. We are taking over this iMac from my in-laws. Ok they gave me the password so now I know more specs. It is a PowerPC G4 - PowerMac6, 1 ; 1GHz running 256 MB DDR and OS X 10.5.8. Can I get them to call AppleCare and will Applecare send them a copy of their original software CDs or DVD's? I would of course be willing to foot the bill, but I guess it would have to be them to call AppleCare. Will AppleCare do this, and if they do will there be a charge?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If Apple sent you the original disca, then it would likelly be OSX 10.3 Panther, not the Leopard 10.5 upgrade that mac appears to have.

Your best bet is to make yourself a new admin account and delete the old one. Second hand copies of 10.5 Leopard are still a bit pricey, so a new user account will be cheaper (and just as effective) as a complete re-install.

If you are coming from Windows, then OSX doesn't suffer from the sort of install rot that eventually slows it down, so a fresh install wont achieve much. You would be better putting the 2 gig Max ram in it

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLicious View Post
Can I get them to call AppleCare and will Applecare send them a copy of their original software CDs or DVD's? I would of course be willing to foot the bill, but I guess it would have to be them to call AppleCare. Will AppleCare do this, and if they do will there be a charge?
Applecare no longer plays a part in this computers "life". Applecare at most lasts 3 years...and this computer is around 9 years old.

You may be able to call Apple...and they may be able to send you OS install disks...but like "louishen" mentioned...they would be the same OS version that originally shipped with the computer (which would be a version of OS 10.2).

Apple may or may not charge for this...if they do charge for it...it probably won't be too much (I'm guessing under $25)...but an OS from 2003 may not be much good in 2011.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac G3 Video Card? | Added Ram and AppleCare Protection Plan »