New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Still having trouble with my g3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac3attack

Mac3attack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 333 mhz, 120 gb, stb os 10.3

So previously I discussed how all I was getting at startup was the blinking folder and ? Screen still same problem. The only thing other than that I can view is the firmware screen. I tried zapping the pram and resetting the defalts through firmware screen. The highest software installled was 8.6 and its close to impossible to find restore disccs or os. I want toput 10.3 on the computer but I cant even get on it o update the firm where. I forgot to mention iits a 333mhz tray loading imac. Can someone please help me. I need this computer up and running since it the only one I have at the moment. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The blinking folder and question mark means that there is no bootable volume on the computer. This usually means the hard drive has crashed, though it could also be a hard drive that has been erased or rendered unbootable somehow. In a worst-case scenario, it could be a more critical failure of the motherboard.

You need to try booting from an install disc to run Disk Utility and see what the status of the hard drive is. Also, you really should run the Apple Hardware Test. That's normally found on the original install discs. I take it you can't find those nor otherwise have any discs that you can boot the system with? If that's the case then what you can try, if you can get to another Mac to burn this, is download Mac OS 7.5.3 from Apple… if that will work on your system. Apple is providing it as a free download. Read the instructions given in this site thoroughly:
Classic Mac OS Downloads and Updates

Barring that, your only other choice is to figure out where you are going to be able to buy a copy of the Mac OS that will boot your system. Be aware that even if you do, you are still likely looking at hardware repairs.

And in the future, please don't start new threads seeking help for this same problem. I have no idea how much of what I just told you that you were already told. Just reply to the old one next time.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

Thank you for the input. I do know of a laptop I can use and I did buy another hard drive that needs to be partitioned. Can I do that after installing 7 or do I haave to partition it first ?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3attack View Post
Thank you for the input. I do know of a laptop I can use and I did buy another hard drive that needs to be partitioned. Can I do that after installing 7 or do I haave to partition it first ?
You should be able to partition after installing it, but I personally have no significant experience with the old Mac OS. I don't even know for certain your model can run Mac OS 7. According to EveryMac.com, yours would have come with 8.1 or later. Still… it's your best shot at the moment.
What version of the MacOS is pre-installed on the iMac G3 models? Does the iMac G3 run the MacOS? Can it run MacOS X or just MacOS 9? @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

Im going to give it a shot in a little while. the computer was working up untill 2weeks ago when I pushed the reset button next to the usb... Stupid me touching things I dont know what tthey do
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

Ok so I tried to install os7 and still no good. Further research aalso shows that 7 will not work on my system. On another note, I read that my system does not have a dvd or rw rom. Does this limit the kind of cd I can use to burn my programs on?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

You need to pick up a retail disk of OS 9. Then, you need to update the firmware to install OS X 10.3.

A flashing question mark is usually a dead hard drive. It can sometimes be related to the OS being corrupted in some way, but if it was working a few weeks ago, the suddenly stopped, odds are it's dead.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

thank you. i mean i have no clue where im going to find a retail cd, but i know what i need to start looking for
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If you have to you can put 8.1 on the machine. You need full retail or orange Imac disc.
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

AlienBZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thank you. i mean i have no clue where im going to find a retail cd, but i know what i need to start looking for
Perhaps this might be what you're looking for Macattack?

Mac OS 8.1 at Amazon.com

in order to buy it, you'll have to create an acc't with Amazon.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

So this weekend I recieved os 9. I was able to boot up my computer. I partitioned the 120gb hard drive to about 8000 mb. Just under 8gb so its ready for mac os10. The problem Im having now is when I go to startup options and select start up from petitioned drive with my new os on it, I hit the restart button and it brings me back to the flashing ? Icon . I have to hold down c to start the computer and the disc must be in
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
So this weekend I recieved os 9. I was able to boot up my computer. I partitioned the 120gb hard drive to about 8000 mb. Just under 8gb so its ready for mac os10. The problem Im having now is when I go to startup options and select start up from petitioned drive with my new os on it, I hit the restart button and it brings me back to the flashing ? Icon . I have to hold down c to start the computer and the disc must be in
You have partitioned the drive, but you have not installed an OS to it. You still need to boot from an install disc to install the OS.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac3attack

I did install the os, then I went to startup and chose the new partition to start from. After that I hit the restart button. is it possible my partition is too large? Also my partition is not named. It is labled untitled. Could that be a problem
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Hold down the option key on restart and see if you can select the partition. 10 gig is about right for os9. You need to do an Universal Install...I think the firmware is messed up. You need update 1.2 as Os 9 requires this update.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Hey..You need to clear some of your messages as you have reached your limit..I need to send you something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Add second processor to G4? | Glitch and hammering solved by G. Chrome? »