Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    333 mhz, 120 gb, stb os 10.3
    Exclamation Still having trouble with my g3
    So previously I discussed how all I was getting at startup was the blinking folder and ? Screen still same problem. The only thing other than that I can view is the firmware screen. I tried zapping the pram and resetting the defalts through firmware screen. The highest software installled was 8.6 and its close to impossible to find restore disccs or os. I want toput 10.3 on the computer but I cant even get on it o update the firm where. I forgot to mention iits a 333mhz tray loading imac. Can someone please help me. I need this computer up and running since it the only one I have at the moment. Thank you

The blinking folder and question mark means that there is no bootable volume on the computer. This usually means the hard drive has crashed, though it could also be a hard drive that has been erased or rendered unbootable somehow. In a worst-case scenario, it could be a more critical failure of the motherboard.

You need to try booting from an install disc to run Disk Utility and see what the status of the hard drive is. Also, you really should run the Apple Hardware Test. That's normally found on the original install discs. I take it you can't find those nor otherwise have any discs that you can boot the system with? If that's the case then what you can try, if you can get to another Mac to burn this, is download Mac OS 7.5.3 from Apple… if that will work on your system. Apple is providing it as a free download. Read the instructions given in this site thoroughly:
    Classic Mac OS Downloads and Updates

Barring that, your only other choice is to figure out where you are going to be able to buy a copy of the Mac OS that will boot your system. Be aware that even if you do, you are still likely looking at hardware repairs.

And in the future, please don't start new threads seeking help for this same problem. I have no idea how much of what I just told you that you were already told. Just reply to the old one next time.

Specs:
    Thank you for the input. I do know of a laptop I can use and I did buy another hard drive that needs to be partitioned. Can I do that after installing 7 or do I haave to partition it first ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac3attack View Post
    Thank you for the input. I do know of a laptop I can use and I did buy another hard drive that needs to be partitioned. Can I do that after installing 7 or do I haave to partition it first ?
    You should be able to partition after installing it, but I personally have no significant experience with the old Mac OS. I don't even know for certain your model can run Mac OS 7. According to EveryMac.com, yours would have come with 8.1 or later. Still… it's your best shot at the moment.
    What version of the MacOS is pre-installed on the iMac G3 models? Does the iMac G3 run the MacOS? Can it run MacOS X or just MacOS 9? @ EveryMac.com

Specs:
    Im going to give it a shot in a little while. the computer was working up untill 2weeks ago when I pushed the reset button next to the usb... Stupid me touching things I dont know what tthey do

Specs:
    Ok so I tried to install os7 and still no good. Further research aalso shows that 7 will not work on my system. On another note, I read that my system does not have a dvd or rw rom. Does this limit the kind of cd I can use to burn my programs on?

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    You need to pick up a retail disk of OS 9. Then, you need to update the firmware to install OS X 10.3.

A flashing question mark is usually a dead hard drive. It can sometimes be related to the OS being corrupted in some way, but if it was working a few weeks ago, the suddenly stopped, odds are it's dead.

Specs:
    thank you. i mean i have no clue where im going to find a retail cd, but i know what i need to start looking for

If you have to you can put 8.1 on the machine. You need full retail or orange Imac disc.

thank you. i mean i have no clue where im going to find a retail cd, but i know what i need to start looking for
    Perhaps this might be what you're looking for Macattack?

Mac OS 8.1 at Amazon.com

in order to buy it, you'll have to create an acc't with Amazon.

Specs:
    So this weekend I recieved os 9. I was able to boot up my computer. I partitioned the 120gb hard drive to about 8000 mb. Just under 8gb so its ready for mac os10. The problem Im having now is when I go to startup options and select start up from petitioned drive with my new os on it, I hit the restart button and it brings me back to the flashing ? Icon . I have to hold down c to start the computer and the disc must be in

So this weekend I recieved os 9. I was able to boot up my computer. I partitioned the 120gb hard drive to about 8000 mb. Just under 8gb so its ready for mac os10. The problem Im having now is when I go to startup options and select start up from petitioned drive with my new os on it, I hit the restart button and it brings me back to the flashing ? Icon . I have to hold down c to start the computer and the disc must be in
    You have partitioned the drive, but you have not installed an OS to it. You still need to boot from an install disc to install the OS.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    I did install the os, then I went to startup and chose the new partition to start from. After that I hit the restart button. is it possible my partition is too large? Also my partition is not named. It is labled untitled. Could that be a problem

Hold down the option key on restart and see if you can select the partition. 10 gig is about right for os9. You need to do an Universal Install...I think the firmware is messed up. You need update 1.2 as Os 9 requires this update.

Hey..You need to clear some of your messages as you have reached your limit..I need to send you something.

Thread Information