New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Wired vs Wireless keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ollieblade

ollieblade is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I have a 24" iMac and two Apple keyboards, one wired and the other wireless. The obvious differences are the the wired keyboard has more buttons including a full numerical keyboard whereas the wireless one doesn't however the wireless keyboard (hence its name) has no wires attached consequently meaning that I need to keep recharging batteries for it. Which keyboard would you/do you use and why?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Wired, I like the numeric keypad.

I really dont know why Apple dont make a full size wireless keyboard, I would buy one today

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have both the wired and wireless versions of the Apple aluminum keyboard and much prefer the wired version. Like louishen I like the numeric keyboard and the fact that I don't have to press Fn in order to use simple things like backspace delete and so forth....

For louishen:

OWC stocks several models of a wireless keyboard that include a numeric keypad but they're costly.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.
harryb2448..you know what camp that I'm in Is there some empirical data that we chew on?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
Krzykat

Krzykat is on a distinguished road

My iMac came with the wireless keyboard, and it took a little bit of time to get used to the lack of keypad as well as how the delete key works, but I much prefer wireless. My last several keyboards and mice for my PC were wireless as well. Less clutter, and batteries seem to last a long time in a keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Wired.

There was never anything more annoying to me than getting on my computer and having the batteries go dead in my keyboard/mouse. Wired is always ready to use, and much more reliable IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
SFBloodBrother

SFBloodBrother is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Well, I would get a wireless, just because if you see the back of my desk, I don't need anymore wires. Even if it is not there, and it is on the desk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems after replacing RAID card | Getting new iMac...Many Questions... »