Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Wired vs Wireless keyboard (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/258458-wired-vs-wireless-keyboard.html)

ollieblade 11-25-2011 02:01 PM

Wired vs Wireless keyboard

Hi All,

I have a 24" iMac and two Apple keyboards, one wired and the other wireless. The obvious differences are the the wired keyboard has more buttons including a full numerical keyboard whereas the wireless one doesn't however the wireless keyboard (hence its name) has no wires attached consequently meaning that I need to keep recharging batteries for it. Which keyboard would you/do you use and why?

Cheers!

louishen 11-25-2011 02:04 PM

Wired, I like the numeric keypad.

I really dont know why Apple dont make a full size wireless keyboard, I would buy one today

harryb2448 11-25-2011 03:42 PM

Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.

chscag 11-25-2011 03:49 PM

I have both the wired and wireless versions of the Apple aluminum keyboard and much prefer the wired version. Like louishen I like the numeric keyboard and the fact that I don't have to press Fn in order to use simple things like backspace delete and so forth....

For louishen:

OWC stocks several models of a wireless keyboard that include a numeric keypad but they're costly.

pendlewitch 11-25-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1331426)
Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.

harryb2448..you know what camp that I'm in ;) Is there some empirical data that we chew on?

Krzykat 11-27-2011 11:44 PM

My iMac came with the wireless keyboard, and it took a little bit of time to get used to the lack of keypad as well as how the delete key works, but I much prefer wireless. My last several keyboards and mice for my PC were wireless as well. Less clutter, and batteries seem to last a long time in a keyboard.

MacDude121 11-28-2011 02:10 AM

Wired.

There was never anything more annoying to me than getting on my computer and having the batteries go dead in my keyboard/mouse. Wired is always ready to use, and much more reliable IMO.

SFBloodBrother 11-28-2011 02:28 AM

Well, I would get a wireless, just because if you see the back of my desk, I don't need anymore wires. Even if it is not there, and it is on the desk.