New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wireless connection to HP C6280 with iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jsta281

Jsta281 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought an iMac. I am just starting to consume the elephant that is learning what it can do and how to do it. My family has slowly been making the switch to Mac starting with iPod to iPhone to iPad to Apple TV and finally to iMac (I guess we will need a MacBook to finally be rid of all things pc but that will have to wait)

Like many we waited because we were so software indebted to pc.

Anyway my real question is I want to set up a wireless connection to our current printer. The printer has and Ethernet port and USB port. I have read about USB adapters that will allow the printer to receive printer "data" over my existing wifi.

It seems pretty simple, but before I buy the adapters have any of you done this? Does it work? Are there issues I should be concerned about?

The printer is considerd a "wireless" printer but I think it is designed that you hard wire the printer to the wifi router with Ethernet cable. I also understand there are adapters that you can plug into the Ethernet port on the printer. They look like routers. What is the easiest most trouble free means to make this happen? I intend on printing over this same connection with my pc laptop as well.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The printer is considered a 'Network' printer but not a wireless printer.

But you are heading in the right direction with some kind of adapter.

What you need is a wireless bridge. It connects to the printer via ethernet and then connects to your existing wireless network.
As far as the printer is concerned it's connected to a wired network and will be happy.

Have a google around for wireless bridge. You'll get multiple hits. In the UK they start around the 20 so it's a reasonably small investment.

Personally I didn't like the extra power supply and box so I traded up to a new wireless printer and handed the old one down to the parents!

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data transfer from pc to iMac | Weird Log-In Glitch »