New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Weird boot issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zeke_D

Zeke_D will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB

I got a powermac G5 7.3 off of craigslist. It's always a gamble with CL, and I sort of lost. This happens if the G5 has been off over night or if it is a warm reboot (like for software updates.) When I reboot or turn on, I get fan noise, but no HDD activity, and no apple start up sound. If I press and hold the power button to turn off the unit, some times it will boot, sometimes I have to repeat the cycle. The only thing plugged into the USB is an apple keyboard and mouse. No additional PCI cards, and only the Radeon video card in the AGP slot. Any suggestions?

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
[ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
[ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I've experienced this before (coincidentally on a Powermac G5). It sounds to me like a hard drive that is going bad...but is not completely gone yet.

If you have a 2nd "known good" HD around that you can install into your PM G5 (with an OS installed on it & booted from)...you can test the PM G5 with it. If the problems go away...this would confirm that the HD that came with the PM G5 is "flakey"...and is living on "borrowed time".

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

I don't have another sata drive. Do you think I could super duper the drive to an 8GB flash drive and try that?

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_D View Post
I don't have another sata drive. Do you think I could super duper the drive to an 8GB flash drive and try that?
Do you have an OS install disk that you can install an OS on the flash drive? Then you wouldn't have to mess around with "Super Duper"....might be a shorter less complex process.

Also (just remembered)...if we're talking OS 10.5...I think that OS 10.5 can take up to 15-20 gigs of HD space...so that 8gig flash drive won't be big enough.

Also...used SATA drives are pretty cheap. I see them on my local CL all the time for $25 for smaller ones. Not sure if $25 is in your budget. Even if the 2nd HD doesn't solve the problem...you could use it as a backup drive (since it sounds like you don't have a 2nd HD for use as a backup).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

FYI...just checked my local CL...and saw some used 80gig SATA drives for $10 bucks each.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

inexpensive sata drives can definately be had on CL, but I run the same risk as before, not knowing if the drive is definately good. I think installing tiger on an 8GB flash is the way to go.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
inexpensive sata drives can definately be had on CL, but I run the same risk as before, not knowing if the drive is definately good. I think installing tiger on an 8GB flash is the way to go.
Like I mentioned earlier...I had similar issues with a PM G5 I own. The hard drive was going bad...and had the same symptoms as you're experiencing. When I replaced the drive...everything was fine.

If you installed a 2nd "good" SATA drive...and you don't have thew problems you're experiencing currently...then that will confirm that the other (original) drive has problems.

Yes...installing Tiger on the USB stick may work...and fit.

- Nick

p.s. Sometimes Disk Utility or the info section of "About This Mac" will give you the S.M.A.R.T. Status. Check this. It will usually say pass or fail.

p.p.s. Here's instructions for OS 10.4 (I believe it's the same for 10.5):
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...n/duh1896.html

And another link:
http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-H...lingDrive.html

p.p.p.s. Here's a free 30-day utility you can download & use:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24875/smart-utility

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

For some reason I am unable to install to the USB drive, but when the data drive is unplugged, there is no issue. Sounds like confirmation to me. Now I just need a data drive

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

I swapped the optical drive for an IDE hdd with tiger installed on it. I will let it go for a little while and see what happens. Does anyone know if the G5 powermac die channel is dual or single?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I swapped the optical drive for an IDE hdd with tiger installed on it. I will let it go for a little while and see what happens.
Great idea...I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that for quite a while!

How long you figure it will take to see if there's any issues (not sure how long it took with the former HD.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

Well i seem to have the same issues with the IDE drive hooked up. any other ideas?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well i seem to have the same issues with the IDE drive hooked up. any other ideas?
Are you really still getting all the symptoms that you mentioned in post#1?:

- fan noise
- no HDD activity
- no apple start up sound

Are we talking LOUD/high rpm fan noise? The HD doesn't spin-up at all?...and no startup sound?

How much ram does it have (total ram & number of sticks)?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

Okay. Do you spend all day reading MF? every time I have a question, you are the first to respond!

I press the pwr button and I hear a click (presumably the PSU switching off)
The fans run super loud for a brief moment, then are quiet, but can still be heard. They seem to cascade, first loud in the front, then in the back.
No apple startup sound and no audible HDD activity sound (no head movement)

Occasionally (which the data drive installed) I will come back later and all the fans are max speed.

currently with the die drive installed, I get periodic fan speed increases, but it returns to low quiet speeds.

press and hold pwr button 3 seconds, hear another click and power down.

Running 4 sticks of PC 3200, 512MB, 4 more free, 8 slots total.

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

strange... recent boot attempt, no apple boot sound, but it did boot...

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Do you spend all day reading MF? every time I have a question, you are the first to respond!
Are you saying I'm doing "Too Good of a Job"? Maybe I'll stop replying...maybe someone else has better ideas!

- Nick

p.s. Maybe I'll just play "Runescape"...and not check Mac-Forums anymore tonight!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does screen size affect performance? | iMac RAM problem »