New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac power testing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KeefyBoy

KeefyBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G4 800Mhz

Returned from holiday during which there had been at least one power cut. My old iMac G4 17" 800Mhz would not boot at all (nothing).

So, checked online and replaced the internal battery. Still nothing.

Looking at the service manual (page 117) there seems to be a helpful way to test the various voltages (battery, 12v and main); nice description and image.

BUT, my iMac does not have the voltage test points shown or anything remotely like them that I can see.

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. How else should I test the power supply (i'm assuming that power is the problem)

I am an electical engineer so quite happy digging about inside!

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

Nothing at all? Check the fuse? Is there a fuse? Must be. If you open it up you should be able to trace the PS to the motherboard. I'd assume there is some kind of switching PS in there so check the output from that. Since you're an EE I shouldn't have to warn you about safety.
QUOTE Thanks
KeefyBoy

KeefyBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G4 800Mhz

Can't see any sensible fuse loaction inside the Mac. The power supply fuse is fine.

I was hoping for some guidance as to where the helpful power test points indicated in the service user manual had been moved to!

I really don't want to further dismantle the insides (remove drives etc) as i can tell its going to be a ***** to get back afterwards!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Mini freezing !! HELP | Mac Mini Freezes »