New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Dual 2.3 > Dual Core 2.0?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RobHague

:p Bought a 2.3Ghz DP PowerMac last month (Sept 7th) and Apple just released their new kit with PCIe and DDR2. PCIe is my main motivaion at the moment for thinking of 'switching'.

My PM 2.3 has 1.5Gb of RAM and a GeForce 6800 GT. I was thinking of ebaying it (actually i might already have sold it) and then putting the money to a Dual Core 2.0 system with PCIe/DDR2 ect (spec it up a little of course) and i dont lose any money and gain PCIe so i can add a nice 7800GTX when im a bit richer

Does this make sense? Im thinking that the Dual Core 2.0 should be just as good as the Dual Processor 2.3Ghz with it being on the die and not two seperate units.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
lil

This is a hotly contested issue for sure.

IMO, the Dual 2.3 will beat the Dual-core 2.0, whether a Dual-core 2.3 will match up is as yet not quite know.

However from what I have heard from video editing professionals (Apple accredited Video Solutions experts), the performance of the Dual core 2.3 to the Dual-processor 2.3 is certainly the same, with one saying that it was discernably faster when using Final Cut Pro on the dual-core 2.3s. This may be to do with the new DDR-2 memory architecture, amongst other changes beyond the transition from 970FX to 970MP.

Whether you wish to go from the PCI-X based Dual 2.3 to a PCI-E DualCore 2.0 is a matter of whether the drop in performance is a big one or not, and whether you could accept that for the gains in PCI express compatibility, faster RAM etc.

Personally, if I had a Dual 2.3, I'd ideally want the Dual-core 2.3, but then it is a case of what you appreciate most.

You can read more here: (there are other bits in the post but you should be able to pick out the dual-core vs. dual-processor arguments)

As for the 'Quad-Core' G5 vs. Dual-processor G5 2.7; I have no comments from anyone as no one I have contacts with has used one, I do know that the video guys are very happy with the Dual-core systems they have seen (2.0s and 2.3s) and view them as a decent upgrade.

Apple holding Press Event October 19th

Vicky :flower:
QUOTE Thanks
ldjalal

ldjalal is on a distinguished road

I've read a recent review that the new dual core 2.3Ghz beats the previous dual 2.5Ghz models by a slight margin. I dont know if its true for the DC 2.0 vs. D2.3 matchup though.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

What do you do with your PowerMac? If the tasks you perform are memory or graphics intensive, then the new PowerMac will perform better for your situation. If processing power is what you need, then the dual processor system you have right now will be faster.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mini referb. $379 or $399? | Please help--letters »