New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini recognizes my Internet connection but will not go on line! Help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cajun Bob

Cajun Bob is on a distinguished road

I have an older Mac Mini. Just picked it up for my 88 year old mother Grace.

I've reloaded it and all seemed fine. It's very fast for 1.2 G Ram and a single 1.5 intel.

But, although it seems my wireless and says it's connected, FireFox nor Safari will connect to the internet.

Please help.

Mom needs her computer.

Thanks,
Bob
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It might help someone better help you if you list the OSX version also. So this is a first Generation Mini 1.5Ghz Core Solo? Those usually did not come with Airport cards from the factory.

Are you connecting to your WiFi Router? Do you have encryption like WEP, WPA, WPA2 on and if so which one? Did you enter the key correctly?

Lets start here and after you tell us more, we will see what we can do to help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Cajun Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
It might help someone better help you if you list the OSX version also. So this is a first Generation Mini 1.5Ghz Core Solo? Those usually did not come with Airport cards from the factory.

Are you connecting to your WiFi Router? Do you have encryption like WEP, WPA, WPA2 on and if so which one? Did you enter the key correctly?

Lets start here and after you tell us more, we will see what we can do to help you.
The Mac Mini is running 10.4.11
Its a 1.5 Ghz intel Core Solo
Connecting to a Wifi and I think it's WEP encrypted. The key or guest password was entered correctly.

One thing that might be helpful is that this unit came from a company. Maybe settings put in place by them limited access?

I highly appreciate any direction you can give me.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It's been said that Macs have issues using WEP. For me I can always get WEP to work but do not use it due to the ease of it being hacked. WEP is very old and very insecure. You would be way better off changing your Router to at least WPA or WPA2 and then give it a try.

What router are you using? I should have asked in my first post.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Probably the mac has kept its old IP address.

You need to go into the network control panel and wipe the old ip[ address for wifi networks. The mac should be able to get a proper network ip address by asking the router for one

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Mactracker has it listed with a b/g wireless card but like most Mac's it probably will like WPA /WPA2 for encryption and you might have to look in your settings as the wireless may be turned off or not even setup as most business prefer ethernet connections on their desktops only.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

A lot depends on the router he is using also, but WEP is to be avoided today. VERY easy to hack. Seen it done in 5 minutes!!
QUOTE Thanks
Cajun Bob

I'm using the Cisco 4000. Wireless router.

That's about all I know.

Let me know how I can re-set or otherwise make this better. I'm open to learning anything and everything possible.

IT has alluded me.

Thanks,
Bob
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Go to System Preferences > Network > View Status > It should show a green dot next to airport. If the dot is yellow or red, something is wrong. Click "Configure" then click the TC/IP tab. Make sure you are using DHCP and the IP address, subnet mask, and router have a number next to them.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Is that the RVS consumer or commercial T1 Cisco 4000 ?
QUOTE Thanks
Cajun Bob

Go to System Preferences > Network > View Status > It should show a green dot next to airport. If the dot is yellow or red, something is wrong. Click "Configure" then click the TC/IP tab. Make sure you are using DHCP and the IP address, subnet mask, and router have a number next to them.
There is no "View Status" but next to "Show Airport status in menu bar" there is a purple Question mark.
Regarding TCP/IP I'm using DHCP with manual address and I have an IP address, Subnet mask: and Router address.
There is nothing in the "DNS" Servers box.
And there is an option at the bottom of the box to Configure IPv6. ??????
I'm fairly sure my Router is the consumer type. Purchased at Sam's.
Bob

QUOTE Thanks
Cajun Bob

Doubled Checked and my router is NOT a Cisco 4000 it is a Cisco E 3000. With Security type: WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode
Hope this helps.
Bob
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Try using configure with just DHCP which should give you a DNS if not try Google's
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Bob View Post
There is no "View Status" but next to "Show Airport status in menu bar" there is a purple Question mark.
Regarding TCP/IP I'm using DHCP with manual address and I have an IP address, Subnet mask: and Router address.
There is nothing in the "DNS" Servers box.
And there is an option at the bottom of the box to Configure IPv6. ??????
I'm fairly sure my Router is the consumer type. Purchased at Sam's.
Bob

I had an internet issue with a G3 iMac a while back that had a problem similar to yours, it was connected properly but I could not browse the web. As it turns out my Operating System was too old for the router to work with, 10.4 Tiger is a very old operating system, and your Cisco router may be too new to work. You might be better off buying 10.6 Snow Leopard from the apple online store for $29 and upgrading the entire OS itself.
QUOTE Thanks
Cajun Bob

osxx,

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by Try Google's 8.8.8.8 ??

Please explain.
Thanks,
Bob

Mac Dude,

Appreciate the advice, but this, my good ole MacBook pro, with 10.5 works well and I've had older systems on.

Just thought I'd mention this.
Bob
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini -screen locking | WD external harddrive issues!! »