New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

4 Port USB Hub mod for 27" iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommyxv

tommyxv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB

I was getting tired of turning my iMac every time I wanted to plug a USB cable in. Here is a simple way to add 4 additional USB ports and keep things looking tidy.

You can use either the 7 port or 4 port Belkin Ultra Slim Metal USB Hub as both will fit. I chose to install it on the right side since the other slots are there too. You will also need SuperLock Fasteners. Velcro would work but the SuperLock Fasteners are much better. It doesn't move with them.
You can pick them up at Radio Shack, item #640-2360

1) Clean the hub and back of the iMac with some rubbing alcohol. The side of the hub that will go against the iMac just says Belkin on it. (the other side also has Belkin on it and some symbols/model number - don't use that side) The side that just has Belkin on it has a square edge that will sit flat and be more stable.

2) Apply the SuperLocks. I locked them together before peeling the paper off of the adhesive. Seems to be easier that way. Apply one side to the hub. Then line the hub up where you want it and press it on to the iMac.

I put my hub recessed just a hair so if there is nothing plugged into it, you won't even see it. If you do see it, it is the same color and finish as the iMac.

3) Run you wires and your done. The SuperLock that goes on the hub side is just a little bit wider. I was going to trim it but the little bit that stuck out held the white USB cable in place and hidden.

QUOTE Thanks
tommyxv

Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB

I reconfigured my setup a little. This is working out much better. All wires are still hidden.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Both ideas are neat but wasn't the whole idea to have access without turning the Mac? With the second one you have to turn it to access it.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
tommyxv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Both ideas are neat but wasn't the whole idea to have access without turning the Mac? With the second one you have to turn it to access it.
With the Belkin 2" In-Desk hub, I have easy access to 3 USB ports. There is a 4th USB port underneath as well, but the 3 on top is all I need. Belkin also makes a 3" version too. These slip into the precut holes in most desks. I got mine at B&H Photo.

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Some good ideas here - thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm holding out for a wireless 60GHz Thunderbolt Hub with multiple adapters. That way I can have one very small antenna in a Thunderbolt port - and a wireless module (with a massive bitpipe) that has Thunderbolt and USB interfaces. If anyone would like to get started on that - I'd appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
tommyxv

This looks neat...

Thunderbolt accessories under glass: Belkin Express Dock, PCI-E expansion, and Seagate GoFlex adapter | This is my next...
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

That'll definitely work. I've been looking at other T-bolt adapters - but I like this one better. Is it available yet?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Not until Spring of 2012!! Belkin Statement Regarding New Thunderbolt Express Dock
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Worry about hard drive. | Video Card Advice »