New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Late 2006 RAM upgrade problem, helped needed!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tallchris

tallchris is on a distinguished road

Trying to put my RAM in 17" late 2006 iMac (Intel), but the lever is blocked by this silver thingy?

What should I do? Take the whole thing apart? Is it safe to cut? What does it do? See photo

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It looks to me that the "silver thing" is supposed to go all the way around the perimeter of the ram access area. Looks like it came loose, and it also looks like this iMac may have been taken apart previously & this loose "cushioning strip" is now out of place.

I'm guessing that the "silver thing" is a fabric like material...and is very flexible...so you could just flip it up out of the way of the ram release lever (push the lever all the way in, flip the fabric up, release the ram lever out).

I would say just cut/trim this loose fabric material...but without inspecting it personally (to make sure it is just fabric) I'm not going to say 100% you could cut it.

If you look at it carefully...this fabric material goes around the perimeter of the ram opening/access area...and so it probably serves as a cushioning/anti vibration material between the parts (no rattling). And like I mentioned above...it looks like this material became loose & is now out of place.

Thanks for the photo...that helps a lot!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

You couldn't just lift the ribbon over the lever? The entire inside is covered with an electrostatic foil shield, and this could be a piece of it. If it is, just cut it away as it isn't serving any purpose hanging there.

Taking the cover off an older iMac is a PITA.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen problem | Replacement for iMac G4 »