New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro 2.8 Quad upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ragu

ragu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/240g SSD/3x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/480SSD

I have a 2008 macPro 2.8 Quad core and was wondering if the logic board will support an extra processor. I would like to install another Core Xeon E5462 processor so it would become an 8 core machine... All the research I have looked at says they are pretty much the same machine except the extra processor in the 8 core 2008 model..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Some info:

How do you upgrade the processors in the "Original/Early 2008" Mac Pro models? How are the processors mounted? @ EveryMac.com

Accelerate Your Mac News Archive for Monday August 23, 2010

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ragu

ragu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/240g SSD/3x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/480SSD

Thanks for the great info Pigoo3 will let you know results after my upgrade gotta get CPU from ebay and maybe another heatsink.. 1st link was spot on!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Even with all the documentation saying they're the same, I'd be opening the cover on it and verifying your board does indeed have the capacity of two processors before you spend your money.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Even with all the documentation saying they're the same, I'd be opening the cover on it and verifying your board does indeed have the capacity of two processors before you spend your money.
Couldn't agree more!!!

A quick look at the logic board to look for that "open cpu socket" would certainly confirm matters (either way).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu View Post
Thanks for the great info Pigoo3 will let you know results after my upgrade gotta get CPU from ebay and maybe another heatsink.. 1st link was spot on!!!!
If you decide to go forward with this project...please please...post an update as to how it went, how much it ended up costing (if you don't mind), and if it works & is stable.

Not many Mac Pro owners do this (even though with some models it is supposed to be possible). I used to have a Quad-Core 2.66ghz 1st generation Mac Pro that I was thinking of upgrading to 8-cores (3.0ghz)...but at the time the cpu's were too expensive to make it worth while.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't boot up | Pentium iMac 21.5" starts up but screen is black »