New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Using 2 Identites on iMac at same time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RogerRabbit

RogerRabbit is on a distinguished road

How can I use 2 identities on 2 different monitors on my iMac (OS 10.6.8)
at the same time?

Aloha, RogerRabbit
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I'm not sure that you can do this. You can set up different user accounts and turn on fast user switching. If you've connected a 2nd monitor then your machine should auto-detect it and you may be able to do it via the extended desktop option but I've never tried so my advice is probably about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard! There are some very experienced guys on here and they may have a solution.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I don't think you can physically run 2 different accounts at the same time. The only thing I can think of is having 2 machines and use screen sharing to log into the first one with one user account while it runs a different account on the screen. I do believe though that you'll need Lion to do this - Older versions of ScreenShare don't support logging in with a different user than currently logged in.

...I don't think this option is very economic. If you have 2 machines you might as well run those and share files instead of sharing the screen :-)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac internet goes out after a few minutes | Black Screen, Loud Fans, No 3rd Led, Help!? »