New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G3 Keyboard Compatability

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheInternaut

TheInternaut is on a distinguished road

Hi all

For nostalgia reasons I just bought a 400mhz iMac G3 off ebay. The computer was sold to me on the basis that it didn't come with an OS pre-installed.

Unfortunately, I appear unable to boot off my OS 8.1 system disk because the only keyboard I have is a new-ish aluminum Apple Keyboard which the iMac doesn't recognize. This means that I cant hold the C key down on startup should another cheap USB keyboard work ok? Also, will the 400mhz iMac run off OS 8.1?

Any help appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Any USB keyboard should work. Including your Aluminum one. I suspect either the CD drive is at fault, or your OS disk isn't a full retail version.
QUOTE Thanks
TheInternaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
Any USB keyboard should work. Including your Aluminum one. I suspect either the CD drive is at fault, or your OS disk isn't a full retail version.
Are you sure? The reason I think it might be a compatibility is because the caps lock key doesn't light up when pressed even though the keyboard is definitely receiving power (my mouse attached to the USB hub on the keyboard lights up). Most websites Ive read suggest that the keyboard is only compatible with OSX, which does seem strange.

The CD is definitely a retail version, though it is 8.1 which i'm not sure the 400mhz iMac is compatible with. The CD drive does seem to spin up properly though obviously it could still be broken.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Depending on the actual model as there were a couple of 400MHz machines, the earliest operating system it will install is either OS 8.6 or OS 9. OS 8.1 will simply not install period and I though we had this discussion last month?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TheInternaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Depending on the actual model as there were a couple of 400MHz machines, the earliest operating system it will install is either OS 8.6 or OS 9. OS 8.1 will simply not install period and I though we had this discussion last month?
Hi there

Thanks for the replies . I suspected that was the case. I've bought an original OS9 disk which is on the way so its not that big of a problem. Am I being stupid about the keyboard though, considering the whole capslock thing? Should the 400mhz macs at least be able to boot off the 8.1 disk even if they can't actually install 8.1?

Im not sure who you spoke to last month but it wasn't me so sorry about that one

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInternaut View Post
Should the 400mhz macs at least be able to boot off the 8.1 disk even if they can't actually install 8.1?

Cheers
The OS has to be new enough to support the Imac firmware and USB. That said...the Imac install disc that are orange are version 8.1. I have used it to restore a slot load Imac with a clean HD...then upgraded to 9.2 and then to 10.2. Make sure you upgrade the firmware if you install X.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 20" iMac randomly turns off | Need some advice purchasing my second iMac for video editing »