Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    iMac impending purchase
    I intend to purchase an iMac within the next few months, definitely before the end of the year.

    currently i am considering the following:

    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

    In addition to the normal things Macs are used for, i want to burn DVDs and in particular Blue Ray (i appreciate this needs more hardware) photo editing, playing high res games, surfing multiple sites etc, etc.

    I have up spec'ed from the standard iMac to allow for future proofing. i do not intend to buy another one for a few years to come

    Questions: is future proofing and good idea and is the up spec value for money give the perceived use of the computer

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,842
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    The upgraders rule of thumb is get the best you can afford, that's as much as you can do in the futureproofing game.

    I would say leave the ram as standard and buy it from newegg/crucial/owc etc as it'll be much cheaper.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  3. #3

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post

    I would say leave the ram as standard and buy it from newegg/crucial/owc etc as it'll be much cheaper.
    Crikey, I have just searched on 'newegg' and the price of 16Gb is $105, where as Apple charge $600 to upgrade from 4-16. Thanks for the heads up.

    Is it easy to install? i live in Qatar and whilst buying the memory over the web is painful, but possible, the Apple reps here are next to useless. In fact that's being fair.

    So would probably look to install myself.

    thanks in advance

  4. #4

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,842
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Here you go:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423#1
    5 minute job.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  5. #5

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Genius - thank you

  6. #6

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,874
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post

    Questions: is future proofing and good idea and is the up spec value for money give the perceived use of the computer

    Thanks in advance
    in my opinion "future proofing" is both impossible and a waste of time and money.
    The future moves way too quickly (and in unexpected directions) to be truly proofed against. Better, I believe is buy what you want/need from what is currently available and worry about upgrading when the time comes.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,200
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    in my opinion "future proofing" is both impossible and a waste of time and money.
    The future moves way too quickly (and in unexpected directions) to be truly proofed against. Better, I believe is buy what you want/need from what is currently available and worry about upgrading when the time comes.
    Well said!

    In my opinion...the term "future-proofing" shouldn't even exist in the computing lexicon! In fact using the term "future-proofing" in an industry that moves as fast as the computing industry...is very likely the worst possible place to even use the term.

    Actually when you think about what the term "future-proofing" means...it's a pretty pointless term (no offense meant to the OP). Nothing is really "future-proofable". Unfortunately everything naturally ages...and eventually wears out, gets old, or becomes obsolete.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    yep, i appreciate my phrase future proof will have irked some of the more technical people in this forum.

    My logic though was if I can by an average spec computer, (the standard iMac) which will run everything i may need now or do i get a higher spec which may be cognisant of future programs or operating systems etc released next year or two.. that will / may require higher specs to run for example - lion will not run on anything else that 4gb memory as i have found out last week. As i said at the beginning, i will not buy another for a few years.

    anyway thanks for your comments and efforts

  9. #9

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,874
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    yep, i appreciate my phrase future proof will have irked some of the more technical people in this forum.

    My logic though was if I can by an average spec computer, (the standard iMac) which will run everything i may need now or do i get a higher spec which may be cognisant of future programs or operating systems etc released next year or two.. that will / may require higher specs to run for example - lion will not run on anything else that 4gb memory as i have found out last week. As i said at the beginning, i will not buy another for a few years.

    anyway thanks for your comments and efforts
    Not at all irked by the phrase, just don't agree with the logic.
    My four year old MBP is still easily capable of handling anything I throw at it. Memory is a cheap and easy upgrade so go for it.
    Again, in my opinion it is better to buy what you need to support your current and (near) future usage and save your upgrade money for when the time comes.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  10. #10

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    mrplow: don't suppose you know the make of the RAM in the iMac do you? i have ready some info on the memory as advertised on Newegg and it seems that not all memory works for all computers, rather, it is specific for your use, for example 2 or 4 cores - one type, 6 or 12 cores another type etc...

    Thanks in advance

  11. #11

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,200
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    yep, i appreciate my phrase future proof will have irked some of the more technical people in this forum.
    Don't take too much credit for using the term "future-proof"...many many many folks have used it before you!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,200
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    mrplow: don't suppose you know the make of the RAM in the iMac do you? i have ready some info on the memory as advertised on Newegg and it seems that not all memory works for all computers, rather, it is specific for your use, for example 2 or 4 cores - one type, 6 or 12 cores another type etc...
    Seems to me that for someone who hasn't even purchased the iMac yet (going to buy in the next few months or by the end of the year)...that you're really over-thinking things!

    When you FINALLY buy your computer...and WHEN you decide to upgrade the ram...just buy the ram from one of these guys (see below)...and everything will be fine.

    OWC
    Crucial.com

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Seems to me that for someone who hasn't even purchased the iMac yet (going to buy in the next few months or by the end of the year)...that you're really over-thinking things!

    When you FINALLY buy your computer...and WHEN you decide to upgrade the ram...just buy the ram from one of these guys (see below)...and everything will be fine.

    OWC
    Crucial.com

    - Nick
    hahah, you are not the first person to say that i over think things - you're right. I need to get it sorted in my head first what to buy where to buy it how long it will take and how much....

    thanks for the advice Nick, speak soon

  14. #14

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,200
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    hahah, you are not the first person to say that i over think things - you're right. I need to get it sorted in my head first what to buy where to buy it how long it will take and how much....

    thanks for the advice Nick, speak soon
    Just in case...if I sounded harsh...I didn't intend to.

    Rereading your 1st post in this thread...you mentioned what you're going to be doing with this computer...and that initially you were going to get 16gig of ram (but then you were informed that Apple charges too much for ram upgrades).

    Let me mention that for the things that you intend on doing with this computer (from post #1):

    - burn DVDs
    - photo editing
    - playing high res games
    - surfing multiple sites
    - etc.

    ...the 4 gig of ram that this computer comes with will be just fine. And if you decide later on that you need more than 4gig of ram (8 gig, etc.)...then do it then via one of the vendors I linked earlier.

    Again...I think that you will be fine with the 4 gig that comes "stock" with the computer. And if you need to upgrade the ram later...then do it later! Focus right now on actually purchasing the computer!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  15. #15

    j0nb0y32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location
    Doha, Qatar
    Posts
    401
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Thanks again Nick, will do

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thunderbolt Display shortage could point to impending refresh
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
  2. Impending death of HD????
    By Toz in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
  3. iMac purchase - 21.5 or 24.
    By sliderule43 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
  4. Amazon.com iBook deal a sign of impending replacement?
    By Stephen G in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
  5. Impending switcheroo... RAM upgrade?
    By jaetique in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 04:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •