New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrading Mac Mini HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gozzy

gozzy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" White 2.4ghz 4gb: Mac Mini 1.86ghz: iPad 2 32gb 3g: iPhone 4: Apple TV2

Just after a bit reassurance before I crack open the mac mini

As I'm a bit skint but need to upgrade the 80gb HDD in my mac mini, as its my itunes server and my 500gb external drive keeps switching off !!!

I've got a 320 gb drive from my PS3 and was wondering if I can just swap it with the mini's and boot with the SL disc and it'll format & install ???

I'm upgrading the memory from 1 to 2 gb at the same time
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Which model Mini is it? The older ones (before the new flat Minis) come apart way differently than the latest Mini.

What size is the PS3's hard drive? 2.5" or 3.5"? I have never been inside a PS3 before. If the PS3's drive is a 2.5" Notebook SATA drive, then yes, it will work in the Mini.

You can also purchase a inexpensive external hard drive enclosure and put in the 80GB. Then install SL on the 320 GB and use Migration Assistant and your new install will be just like your old on the 80GB. That is what I would do.

Going to try and find out exactly what drive a PS3 uses so I can better answer your first question.

EDIT: just checked and the drive in the PS3 IS a 2.5" SATA Notebook drive, so it should work in your Mini. Still give us the specs on the Mini. There are many tutorials and videos on upgrading the hard drive on the net.
QUOTE Thanks
gozzy

Mac Specs: MacBook 13" White 2.4ghz 4gb: Mac Mini 1.86ghz: iPad 2 32gb 3g: iPhone 4: Apple TV2

Its a 2007 model & Ive already been on youtube to see the procedure

PS3 uses a 2.5" 8.5mm drive Sata

The 80gig will be going in the PS3
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Then go for it. Done it myself a few times. Just be careful taking apart the mini.

What I was saying is put the 80GB temporally into a case and migrate the settings and data then you can put it in your PS3.

Good luck and if you get stuck, we are here. I have done it at least 15 times with different Minis.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Don't forget to backup your PS3 to an external before pulling the drive.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
gozzy

Cheers

There's nothing on the mini I want to keep, I've just been using it as an iTunes server at the mo, so just a fresh install of SL will do
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

One other factor that may, or may not, be relevant to your Mini with its replacement drive - drive speed. The 5400 rpm unit seems to be pretty much standard for Apple notebooks/laptops - and the Mini - and putting in a 7200 rpm drive *may* cause excessive noise and vibration.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
gozzy

Well fairly straight forward swapped them both over and both now installed

Did a back up of Ps3 but it keeps saying corrupt so all the game saves gone
But it's working and as I don't play to many games.....oh well, still got 64gb left to play with

Mini is up and running with SL on and just sorting out iTunes & iphoto, hopefully the 2gb memory comes tomorrow and I can get the case back together, ended up a fairly easy job
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Very cool. Glad it worked and gave you no issues. The memory will make things even nicer.
QUOTE Thanks
gozzy

Ps3 is a toshiba 5400 HDD with a 19db idle noise level so should be ideal, saved me 33

I'll prob change it to a 1tb next year when funds improve.

So if anyone's got an oldish Mini, I'd recommend the upgrade, very easy to do
QUOTE Thanks
gozzy

All done, 320gb HDD (free) upgrade & 2gb memory upgrade (9)

Well worth it, running a lot faster :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck on solid orange screen on startup | Magic Mouse loses connection »