New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2006 24" iMac as Target Display for 2011 MacBook Air?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ethanpeter

ethanpeter is on a distinguished road

Is this at all possible, assuming there's a thunderbolt-to-mini-dvi cable?

I'm under the impression that the display port on the back of my iMac is for attaching a second display. I can't even find anything to suggest that I can use the iMac in target display mode.

Here are the specs of my machine that I'd like to use as a display: iMac (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

I don't think you can without opening it up and basically disabling every other function of the old machine and putting in an adapter of some kind. You'd be better off just buying a monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
SchwartzGeek

SchwartzGeek is on a distinguished road

I'm attempting to do exactly this for my mother who wants to use her new MacBook Air with the 24" iMac serving only as a monitor.

FYI for anyone else interested in doing this:
I've found the necessary adapters:
  • Kanex C247m mini-DVI to mini-DisplayPort adapter (that uses built-in USB for power) ($75 from Amazon, or $130 from Apple)
  • a standard male mini-DP to male mini-DP cable (~$7)

I just need to verify that the iMac monitor supports target display mode. Any verified response is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I believe only the late model (late 2009, mid 2010) 27" iMacs and the Mid 2011 21.5" and 27" models (Thunderbolt port) can be used as a target display.

The older model iMacs have no way to accept video in.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

It occurs to me that maybe there is a software method of doing this, output from the MB via USB and input to the iMac via USB. I have a feeling it would lag though if there were such a program.
QUOTE Thanks
SchwartzGeek

SchwartzGeek is on a distinguished road

the late 2006 iMac has a mini-DVI plug in the back.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwartzGeek View Post
the late 2006 iMac has a mini-DVI plug in the back.
That's video output only.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying an imac 27 | memory problem »