New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlanS

AlanS is on a distinguished road

I never installed any backup / external drive for my iMac. What is the simplist way to do this? I just don't want to lose my iPhoto and iTunes library. I also have several document folders. I want fast, reliable, simple backup. Could you be specific with what external drive you recommend. Please guide me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The easiest way to backup your iMac is to use Time Machine. Any good quality external hard drive can be used. Generally, you'll need a hard drive at least the same size or larger than the drive you have in your iMac.

The external drive will have to be formatted to the Mac standard file system which is Mac OS Extended Journaled. See the following Apple KB instructions regarding Time Machine. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

If you are buying the drive, you can get them pre-formatted for the mac and then it is truly plug and play. I bought Western Digital, but they are all about the same. Consider getting a firewire drive so it doesn't take up a USB port. Usually the firewire drives are both FW and USB.

Plug in the drive to the Mac
Check in the finder that it was recognized
Go to System Preferences
Select Time Machine
Select the new drive as the destination
Turn it on

I'm not oversimplifying this.
I assume you are running at least leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp

Another question along this line I have a mid 2010 21" imac and 2011 13" macbook pro, can you use 1 external drive to backup both? Also both machines are running Lion and most files are duplicated on both, will either machine work as a backup for the other? Like the OP I have never had an external drive and no experience with time machine
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Grey screen during start up | Death of G5 »