New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to format hard Drive to work as an internal and external?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deefadog

deefadog is on a distinguished road

Hi all, i hope this is possible - What i want to do is Format my 1TB 3.5 HD to work as an internal drive (G5 Tower) and as an external drive (in a USB enclosure).

The reason is i want to copy large amount of data and it's much quicker when it's internal.

When i format as an external or internal when i switch it it just says this disk cannot be read.

Is there a way to do this please??
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
When i format as an external or internal when i switch it it just says this disk cannot be read
How are you formatting the disk and to which file format?

What is giving you the error 'disk cannot be read'?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Hi,

I am formatting the disk via disk utility - Mac OS extended (Journaled) - GUID Partition Table.

I have done this when it's in the tower and works in the tower fine - put this into an external USB caddy and i get the "Disk cannot be read"

Also do the same format from the Caddy and i get the same message when i insert the drive into the tower.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what gives you the "Disk cannot be read" error, so I'm going to guess you have two HDD? One with Mac OS on and this one you remove and it's your G5 that's reporting the error not another machine?

If this is correct I'd say your caddy is faulty.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Yes, sorry it's not he boot HD - It's a spare one.

If the caddy is faulty, how can i format the same HD in the caddy and it works fine?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Faulty doesn't mean it's failed entirely, but the fact is everytime you make chnages to the drive in the caddy you're getting issues.

Do you have another you could try it in?

QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

I'll try and get my hands on another one and test!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You need to set up the drive Apple Partition Map as GUID is only for Intel machines.

Your G5 has two positions for a hard drive and it will always transfer much quicker installed than using Firewire, USB etc. Just set the jumpers to slave and away you go.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Ok, thanks, i'll try that.

So in theroey once i format/partition in the Apple Partition Map, then i should be able to swap between my USB enclouser and my G5 Tower?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Subject to changing the jumper settings each and every time.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Thanks for the help!

Turned out the G5 was on leopard and Laptop on Snow Leopard - after upgrading the G5 it woeks flawlessly!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I don't have a back up for my computer where should I start? | imac g5 video issues »