New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Buying a new iMac but need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

camelsmaycry

camelsmaycry is on a distinguished road

Hi

Im interested in buying a new 21 inch imac , But the only one I can afford is the Low end model ($1200) and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade it (to 2 Tb hdd and a 128 SSD) by myself or is it not possible. (if not I will save up for a 27 inch core i7, but dont know if its possible to do the same upgrade on that as well)

thanx
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

From everything I've read- it's doable, but it involves doing some pretty extensive disassembling; i.e. you have to take the screen apart to gain access to it.
Also- the primary hard drive that comes installed CANNOT currently be upgraded because it is firmware locked and uses a special SATA connector.
So you're probably going to want to spring for the 2tb off the bat.

I'm hoping someone else can confirm this for me.
QUOTE Thanks
camelsmaycry

camelsmaycry is on a distinguished road

So I cannot even upgrade to SSD later on as it too will be Firmware locked right, ehhh I guess I will have to wait for a couple of months until I am able to afford it
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

No you should be able to install a second hard drive that can be an ssd- but like I said you'll have to take the front screen off to get access to it. Also not sure what this does to warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It's possible to do both - but it's a non-trivial activity. I'd suggest you spend sometime researching the process before deciding whether or not it's something you're comfortable tackling.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Agree with Brian. And, there is a good possibility that you will void your warranty in the process. Doing any kind of work that requires opening up an iMac is not an easy task and also requires several special tools. (Suction cups, Torx drivers.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the new Imac 21.5 entry level a good choice? | US Mac Pro in Europe »