New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrade my mac mini processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sago48

sago48 is on a distinguished road

I have a mac mini running a core duo 1.83. It only gets light use so that's fine, but it seems that Lion won't run on it as it's 64 bit only. I want to replace the core duo with a 64 bit core 2 duo but can't find any mobo specs that will guide me to the right core 2 duo. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Give this a read:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...processor.html

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
sago48

Thanks Nick - I saw that article but there's also quite a few chronicling how to successfully replace a core duo with a core 2 duo. I bought this mini in 2007 so it's possible it will work, but I don't want to take it apart to find a soldered chip, which is why I asked about the specs that I can't find. This is stuff that is very easy with pcs and I need pointing to ditto for my mini.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

According to this "article" you can.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I upgraded my 1.66 Core Duo Mini to a 2.16 C2D out of an iMac. Works GREAT BUT....

Lion refuses to install? Why you ask? Lion reads the old Firmware that can NOT be changed and that tells it Core Duo so it will not install.

Only way around it is install Lion on the drive from the Mini on a supported Mac then put the drive back in the mini.

That works. Should not be illegal as long as the mini is registered with Apple and has a store account.
QUOTE Thanks
sago48

Thanks for the link and pointing out the issue re the EFI on my mini. Yes, it looks as though even with a core 2 duo chip my mini will boot with a 32 bit kernel. As you say, it looks like I'll have to buy 10.7 with a compatible mac - that's no problem - and then image to an external drive and tweak it from there onto my mini. Not hard to do, though putting us through all of this is a bit tiresome. I expect there will be some clever hacks soon which will make it simpler.

Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago48 View Post
Thanks for the link and pointing out the issue re the EFI on my mini. Yes, it looks as though even with a core 2 duo chip my mini will boot with a 32 bit kernel. As you say, it looks like I'll have to buy 10.7 with a compatible mac - that's no problem - and then image to an external drive and tweak it from there onto my mini. Not hard to do, though putting us through all of this is a bit tiresome. I expect there will be some clever hacks soon which will make it simpler.

Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?
Went out the door with Rosetta. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Ok, after I replied here I got my Core Duo upgraded to a C2D Mini and tried installing Lion. There are a few ways but I just took out the Mini's drive and put it in an external SATA case. Installed Lion then put the drive back in the mini. After that you boot into Snow Leopard and zap one file in system/library. After that Mini booted up and I registered Lion with Apple. Works GREAT. Quite fast and considering the early Minis only take 2GB RAM, I am impressed.

To the OP, if you want to try lion on your C2D older Mini, let me know and I will give you a few tips.

This also proves that if you buy Lion from the App store (Not a Lion that comes with a new Mac), it's $29.99 for your registered Macs and not $29.99 for each Mac you upgrade.

PS, be sure the Mini has a large hard drive as you need Snow Leopard installed to at least zap that one file. I have two partitions, one with SL and one with Lion and an external for Time Machine backup.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So, the mini is running good with 2GB? Have been trying to decide whether to upgrade my wife's MB to Lion or leave well enough alone.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
So, the mini is running good with 2GB? Have been trying to decide whether to upgrade my wife's MB to Lion or leave well enough alone.
What does she do on her MB? If just email, Web, Chat and basics like that, 2GB will be fine. If she is a power user than no way! I had 1GB free at the desktop but it was spotlighting the drive which takes RAM.

Will check again tomorrow morning but it was fine.

BTW, SL on my iMac C2D late 2007 iMac with 2GB with the way I use a computer was always running out of ram and swapping! The Mini with Lion seems no worse in that way than SL with 2GB. I am a power user though. Most average computer users are not!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

email, web and a few cheesy games - maybe try and upgrade her tomorrow.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
email, web and a few cheesy games - maybe try and upgrade her tomorrow.
BTW, You have to delete System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist after the install if it's a Core Duo or it will not boot.

Is her MB C2D or Core Duo?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It's a mid '07, so should be a C2D.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
It's a mid '07, so should be a C2D.
Yes for sure. On that machine you should be able to go over 2GB. Not sure which one you have but at least 3GB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP-My new iMac won't re-install OSX + | Mac OS X wont Load »