New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac mid 2011 drives CANNOT BE REPLACED

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zarathu

zarathu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge

Recent tear down by Other World Computing has determined that the new iMacs have HD's with 7 rather than 4 pins connections and that the sensor in hardware inside the drive AND in the proprietary cable.

Only apple can replace it. Of course you can still put another drive in the second bay, or use a thunderbolt connection to an external drive. But...no replacing the primary drive YOURSELF.

Apple Further Restricts Upgrade Options on New iMacs | Other World Computing Blog

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."
-- Steve Jobs, BusinessWeek Online, Oct. 12, 2004
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I believe quite a few people have been successful by tying the thermal sensor pins together. I haven't kept up with this lately - but did when the 'issue' was first surfaced. There are quite a few threads over at MacRumors on this matter.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Recent tear down by Other World Computing has determined that the new iMacs have HD's with 7 rather than 4 pins connections and that the sensor in hardware inside the drive AND in the proprietary cable.
This is old news and has been brought up several times in our forums and in many other various blogs around the web. Also as Brian has mentioned there are several good threads over in Mac Rumors.

I've also seen work arounds posted including the one Brian mentioned. One guy had his brand new iMac 27" torn apart only hours after purchasing it from the Apple store. I can't remember where his blog is located at but he had complete documentation listed on the work arounds.

The thing to keep in mind is that the machines are warranted for one year and if Apple care is purchased - 3 years. I'm not particularly in the mood for tearing apart an iMac anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office 2011 Installation Disk Keeps Ejecting | CPU Usage Issues »