New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

HELP-My new iMac won't re-install OSX +

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

I have had a new iMac 21 with i3 and 500gb hard drive for 3 months, but recently had a few minor problems.
I did an Onyx scan which told me that the disk was in need of repair, so I had backed-up all my files and data and applications to an external hard drive just in case.
I then used the Migration Assistant just to do a double check but gave up on it when it spent aeons trying to calculate the size of my music, film and photo files to transfer!
Then - without doing anything, although I intended to do a clean install with the original supplied OSX and Apps. disks - the machine switched to a small window asking for my password - which it then refused to accept - even though I know it was correct etc
I have left it switched off for about 5 days and tried again this morning with the same result.
Anyone got any ideas what is wrong - and how I can successfully re-install OSX from the disk ??
As I bought a new iMac27 with i5 a month later, I may have mistakenly inserted that Install disk which is a later version being 2011 instead of the iMac 21's 2010 version - so when I held down key C I am allowed to start the installation process, but then get a message saying -'It is not possible to upgrade this version of OSX .'

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Do you have the original OS disk (s) that came with your 21 iMac? If yes then insert Disk 1 and use it to start up from. Then Repair the HD using Disk First Aid but do not reinstall the OS - yet. If the repair of the HD goes as expected you will be good to go. If you get HD errors that cannot be repaired then try formatting and reinstalling the OS. Worst case is the HD is damaged and if under warranty will be repaired.
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

By 'Disk 1' I assume you mean the OSX Disk ?
If so - it only loads if I press down ' C '- and then the above non-starter procedure happens !

Any one else - PLEASE ?!?

QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Only one reply - experts ?!

QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

I am absolutely staggered at the lack of response to this problem !

QUOTE Thanks
DeanP

DeanP is on a distinguished road

1. Boot up your 21.5" iMac
2. Insert the OS X disk (the one that came with your 21.5" iMac)
3. Restart your iMac
4. Hold down the C key immediately, and keep it pressed until your iMac boots from the DVD.

Do Step 4 again - instead, hold down the Option Key.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac HDD noise? | Upgrade my mac mini processor »