New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

1999 Imac 333Mhz OS install Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oltamak

oltamak is on a distinguished road

Ok guys here is the problem.

I bought a 1999 Imac 333Mhz tangurine at a flea market at MIT over the weekend and I have been trying to get it usable ever since without much luck.

When the computer is turned on it will go to the screen that alternates between the folder with the face and a folder with a question mark. So there must be something wrong with the OS, right?

So I figured that since the original OS was 8.5 I would try to boot from that first. Basically after trying multiple times and getting multiple errors it finally decided to boot to the OS with the discs as the background.

At this point I tried to install the 8.5 OS but it has an error (The application program "Mac OS Install" could not be opened, because a disk error occurred.) when I try to run any applications off the cd. I have made a youtube video showing this error. Also it appears that the last OS that was on this mac was OS 9. So is that having some impact?

I tried using an OS 9 install disc and that will not get past the face/question mark screen.

I would really like to get this imac running so any help would be great.

YOUTUBE LINK: ‪Imac 333 OS Install Issues #1‬‏ - YouTube

Also the youtube video may not be available for a while since i am just uploading it so I will put the error message in the text above also.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just one quick question, have you tried holding the C key down with the OS9 CD in the drive right after you hear that Apple Startup Sound? You keep C down till it boots from the CD. If it still does not boot, let us know.

I watched the video. It looks like OS9 is already installed. Am I correct?
QUOTE Thanks
oltamak

Yes I have tried holding down the c key while the mac boots up, but to no avail. Also this is a burned os 9 install disc that I made on my mac. But I did the same thing for the 8.5 which boots, the only difference is that the 8.5 was a .dmg and hte 9 was an .iso.

I also believe that OS 9 was the last running OS on this machine. But like I said the imac will not boot into it for some reason. I am sure the PRAM battery is dead but would that cause the error I am seeing when I try to install?

Thanks for looking into this with me.
QUOTE Thanks
zarathu

zarathu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge

The question mark generally means that it can find a drive with a bootable system on it or that it simply can't find a bootable drive. Your CD drive could be dirty and won't read the disks or you are trying to install a set of sysem 9 disks that were designed for some other machine besides this imac, like a powerbook. Your hard drive could be shot and that would be a problem. There are often reasons why these are not running when you buy them at flea markets.

I had a blueberry one back then.

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."
-- Steve Jobs, BusinessWeek Online, Oct. 12, 2004
QUOTE Thanks
oltamak

Thanks for the info. I believe the Hdd is still ok since when it does boot from the 8.5 disk I can see the old documents and programs on the Hdd. I also believe that the OS discs may be part of the problem. But If it boots up shouldn't it be able to install the OS?

I just don't get why the installer will not run if the comp boots up with it. I have also tried OS 8.6 without it booting at all. The other weird thing is that the 8.5 disc is kind of hit or miss when I use it. Sometimes it will boot fine, other times it will get an error during the boot up process.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Not with the burned disc. Sounds like you may have copied from a disc that came with a particular machine and will work only withthat machine. You need a full retail install disc for Classic OS 9. Have a look at eBay and such as they do come up from time to time.

This is the type of disc you need and do not buy the silver/grey disc, or an update disc.:-

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Original-Apple-Ma...item336992c050

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
oltamak

Ok I will have a look on ebay and see if I can get one. Wil this version of the imac boot OS 9 fine with out any other OS working? Or should I go for OS 8.5?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would go with Mac OS 9 at least.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini vs iMac | What keyboard & mouse to get for an iMac »