New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Startup problem; Maybe death?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greg / wha!?

greg / wha!? is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac Forums.

I've got a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz with 3 GB running 10.5.8.

It's a 2006 PPC machine, but with a new hard drive fitted about 18 month ago. I had issues with crashes and freezes for awhile, nothing specific. It could happen straight after login, opening iTunes, working on Illustrator or making music on Live. So after trying everything with Disk Utility I decided to back everything up and reinstall Tiger. Resolved the issues for 3 months; everything was running fine.

I turned the machine on yesterday morning and all I got was the Apple Chime and a screen full of flickering white noise. It's definately not the monitor, and I get the same result when trying to boot from the OS disc and startup in safe mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Try running Apple Hardware Test from original install DVD 1 (or maybe #2).
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I am not that familiar with these machines but have read a number of posts on this forum about aging problems with the G5.
Does it have the water-cooled CPUs? If so, this is fairly common from what I have read and from a practical/cost standpoint means it's time to look for a new/used Mac.

Definitely worth investigating further to make sure it's not some other (readily fixable) issue. I would do as recommended and also do a forum search for G5 threads and check out ifixit for repair info.

http://www.ifixit.com/

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Well a 1.8GHz G5 is not liquid cooled so that is one problem solved. Have you got those original install discs to run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode? This checks logic board and graphics where the problem seems to be coming from.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac login problem | Dell U3011 Mac Mini Late 2009 - Screen Resolution »