New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2011 imac - Vertex 3 ssd installing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aattt25

aattt25 is on a distinguished road

hey guys,

i was just wondering that, would i be able to install the vertex 3 ssd into my 2011 imac?
Would it fail the apple hardware test?

What tools will be needed? (Excluding the tools that are needed for open up the imac)

Since I have seen this video installing ssd from a service provider..... however i'm not in the states so yea....

YouTube - ‪2011 iMac Upgrade: OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 SSD Setup, Overview & Benchmarks‬‏
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You might try the iFixit: The free repair manual web site. I don't know if they have a step by step for the 2011 iMacs or not. However, they do sell tools which are needed to open up the machine. Basically all you need are the suckers to pull the glass, torx set of drivers, phillips set, and other simple tools that you probably already have.

Are you replacing the hard drive in the iMac with the SSD or are you adding it as an additional drive? If you're replacing the original hard drive, I suggest you do some searching and reading before doing so. The original hard drives in the 2011 iMac series are proprietary and have special firmware. Replacing one with anything else can cause the hard drive fan to operate at full RPM and possibly void your warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« As you can tell I am new to Mac | save photos but delete startup disk files »